[How do I?] Turn accurate parallel faces on a disk

Thanks for your comments Jeff! If I ad been thinking of it, I may have measured the "flatness" of my cuts using an indicator on the cross slide. Considering the thin profile of the disk (3/4") and the large span with a grip of just around a 1/4 ". Causes some distortion in the part which I suspect is a much bigger influence of the "inaccurate turning" that prevented me from producing me own cast iron surface plate. Than the wear of my machine. Even measuring the part to a few tenths of a thousandths of an inch becomes challenging with temperature changes make those kinds of changes. I remain confident this turned out very well ant the part is well within expected and excellent tolerances in any experienced opinion. My son ( a mechanical engineer) spent time at a company that makes super abrasive grinding wheels which need to be quite accurate dimensions. Him and other people involved in producing those US made, high quality grinding wheels used to produce carbide cutters specif I lay for Boeing aircraft, a Mars rover and grinding of carbide cutters for companies like Kyocera provided some of the input I respect and trust over random internet chatter. Same with the reassurance from my friend who sent the photo of the large stainless steel fitting in his CNC. He is a person I have collaborated with on some quite challenging and demanding industrial products that practical accuracy and knowledge of his craft pulled of some quite amazing products. My point being, I looked for comparable experiential information I trust. I'm open to criticism here, my friends told me how I should be doing the work and even scoffed at my employed methods but none have questioned the result (not counting a little disbelief in my having achieved the tolerance I did.

slkoo1 and Jim I hope you can appreciate my somewhat distrustful (or better stated skeptical and cautious assessment) of your viewpoint that I got crappy accuracy that points to a clapped out machine or incompetent operation by myself as counterpoint to what I consider reliable and highly experienced people that do this work as a living. I am open to being convinced but I need some pretty convincing examples of lathe work that is consistently out performing what I'm doing. So far I'm not seeing it. 7 ten thousands of an inch, split in two on the sides (so less than 4 ten thousandths of an inch over a 10 inch thin plate each side) is in the realm of moving on to a lapping plate. Once the chuck is bolted to the faceplate and the assembly bolted to the rotary table, much of that will conform to the accuracy (or total lack there of in some eyes) of the rotary table. in any case, I'm happy with the result and secure in my knowledge of having a good serviceable tool added to my arsenal. I asked for some input from the folks at Practical Machinist forum as well (after suffering the blow to my confidence) and got a much more supportive and technically astute seeming set of responses. I like the mental challenge you guys provided because with my relative inexperience in this operation, I was excited to hear what I could improve upon. Thanks again.

Back