Turning Female Taper

Would Dykem blue layout fluid work? That's all that I have.

You really need some Permatex Blue. You can usually find it at the local Auto parts store. A black Sharpie may work, too!

EDIT: Just put some stripes of Dykem or Sharpie about 3/8 to 1/2 wide along the axis of the part at about 90 deg from each other.

dykem is better than permatex, but don't use the layout blueing use the one in the tube for scraping. The last collet holder i made i finished it by id grinding the taper in with a dremal tool and a diamond wheel

I don't know the capabilities of your indicators, so.....
when your compound is at 8º, put an indicator to show .5 inches of travel of the saddle, and read .0696 thousands of movement of the side of the compound

It's a Starrett indicator. I will try what you guys have mentioned. I feel confident after reading all your replies. Thank you guys.

Just one small technical point, for the sake of education. You always "bore" when cutting the inside diameter. "Turning" is for ODs. Used to bug me when people would say they had their brake drums "turned", and they looked at me like I had two heads at the parts store (counter help) when I asked them to bore my drums. But that's the way it is.:)

Set your compound with a sinebar . I had to make a crap load of these as an apprentice back in the uh , 70s. I will post a picture of a very simple extremely accurate sinebar project that anyone can make with minimal tooling . ( As soon as I find the darn thing ! )

Here's a video that shows the process of boring the taper that might be useful.

Just one small technical point, for the sake of education. You always "bore" when cutting the inside diameter. "Turning" is for ODs. Used to bug me when people would say they had their brake drums "turned", and they looked at me like I had two heads at the parts store (counter help) when I asked them to bore my drums. But that's the way it is.:)

Well I learned something new again today haha! I normally refer it all to turning. Although, what you said makes a good point.

So on to my project. Got the female taper bored. Used my dial indicator as previously mentioned in this thread. Made sure the coolet had full contact with the bore. Taking a break to eat. Then going to take a final cut and polish it very smooth and reassure the bore is even with the collet. I'm proud of myself. Haha

Ignore the mess. I'm about to clean up. It's all finished! That's a 1/2" collet with 1/2" O1 drill rod in it. I measured the runout to .0005" with my dial indicator. At least I hope I read it correctly. I'm super excited with it. Going to remove it and put 4 holes around it for a spanner wrench so it can easily be removed from the spindle. Thank you guys for the help! image.jpeg

Back