Two Piece Mill Vise

Good job. Sounds like they came out perfect.

It shouldn't bind it at all unless you have the holes out of alignment. Either way should be fine. You can always test them by inserting a short way first to ensure you have your movement.

You could also ream out the moving block and use set screws to hold the rods in place.

Success! The guide rods slide perfectly after pressing them in. No binding. It's like they were made for each other! :D

This is probably one of the most precision set of parts I've made and I'm very pleased with the results. Thanks to all that responded and helped me!

I do notice the moving jaw seems to bind a bit when I tighten down on the fixed base. This makes sense since there is no clearance under the movable jaw. I may skim off 3-5 thou off the bottom so it doesn't hang up.

IMG_5648.jpg

IMG_5646.jpg

Very nice job. I had thought you might have the moveable jaw out farther from the stationary, but now seeing how little that you will project out, the 3/8" drill rod should be perfect.

Removing a couple of thousands may reduce the binding you are describing. If you do, I would not remove much more than 0.001"- 0.002", as you want to support that jaw when under load. Remember everthing you remove will throw your part out by the same amount as you apply downward force from the cutting tool. It may also not give you as stable of a mount and enduce vibration and other issues. Frankly, I wouldn't remove any.

In fact, maybe a better solution would be to machine an oil groove the length (long dimension) of the bottom to provide lubrication. It would not require much to give you a small channel for the lubricant.

Thank you very much. I've learned tons in the few years I've starting machining in earnest and from this very friendly forum.

Congrats, looks nice. A small tool that permits some large work.

Back