Types Of Lathes

Bill Rosselot

Registered
Registered
I'm just starting out and I would like to know what is the difference between a regular lathe and a gun smith lathe? I have been told they are better, but I have to ask is this true or is it just a preference?
Like I said i'm a greenhorn at this. Looking a buying a Grizzly lathe and mill but not sure which one. Have read the review and looked at the video reviews. I what to buy the right ones only want to spend this kind of money once.

I imagine that "gunsmith lathe" is like "high tension hacksaw," it is a label that is tossed on a machine, sort of like "precision." You know, like the "precision" harbor freight 7" lathe?

You will get a boat load of opinions about the definition of a gun smith lathe, probably the only thing that will all have in common is that you can stuff a 1 1/2" barrel blank down the head stock. The Precision Mathews gunsmith lathe for example has an extremely short head stock so that it is easier to support the back end of the barrel with a spider. Does this make it a better lathe? No, in some cases it might actually make it a worse lathe - but it is probably better for gunsmithing.

I strongly advise that you watch some videos of people doing the kind of work you hope to do, then build a list of things your lathe must have - if they do not have it, it is a deal breaker. For instance, if you are going to be doing any amount of line boring, distance between centers is very important. If you plan on mounting castings and the like to a face plate, then swing is very important. My list said no less than 28" BC, no less than 9" swing, partial gear box, 110v, under 700lbs. The list got very short after that.

In general, bigger is better. Try to go up one size from what you need. But if you plan to do nothing but make HO scale train models, then a small lathe that can be operated from a stool might be a better choice.

Yup - like he said. Probably has features more useful to someone engaged in gun-smithing activities on a regular basis. That about it - spindle bore and bed length. Maybe some threading features and ability to add a spider rearward?

To me (I tinker with guns too) the term 'gunsmith lathe' typically refers to a lathe that has a suitable bore through the spindle, and that the spindle/headstock is short enough to handle most rifle barrels, and the accuracy desired for gunsmithing. IMO, gunsmithing isn't hard on the machinery, so you don't need some big honking 3000 lb. lathe just to turn a barrel or chamber it. But you do want the accuracy.

Example: PM advertises my 1340GT as a good gunsmithing lathe. Short headstock, short/thickwalled spindle, and TIR of .0001 on the spindle nose (verified).

There are probably as many definitions of "gunsmith lathes" as "toolroom lathes". I don't think there is any definitive definition for either.

No difference, its just a badging they put on it to justify charging a few dollars more.

Hi
Do you do any gun work, do the have any kind of work in mind.
In general, bigger is better. Try to go up one or two sizes up from what you need.
Big spindle bore and bed length is nice.
Power on the CT & LT
Threading ability in Metric & Imperial

A gunsmith lathe is a MARKETING term used to sell lathes to hobbysts that have an interest in "Gun Smithing".
I haven't the faintest clue what "Gun Smithing" is yet must assume it involves modifying or manufacturing guns, any decent lathe large enough for the required part sizes will do this work.

A perfect example of a MARKETING term that is used widely in the automotive industry is "alloy wheels" used as a selling point for a higher priced vehicle model.
A lower cost model with steel wheels has alloy wheels as well, all steel is an alloy.

Grizzly gun smith lathes do have a few features aimed specifically at gun smithing, shorter spindle, spiders on the back of the spindle for gripping barrels, higher spec spindle bearings. But make no mistake they are still made in China lathes with made in China quality issues and limits.

Back