USA Totality Eclipse 2024

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Figured a thread dedicated to the April 8th Total Eclipse would be of interest here.

Where we live in St. Albans, Vermont it turns out we fall on the Totality path in the US. I decided to take the day off. It turns out that was probably smart without knowing it, the local news stations in Vermont are going nuts about the tourism boom we are about to experience. I chatted with our mayor the other day and he said that a NASA rep blasted out some guidelines for local municipalities along the totality path - take your population and multiply by two. That's how many people are coming to your town on April 8th.

All schools in Chittenden and Franklin counties are closed for the day - I'm of the understanding that they are sending their students to St. Albans for the fun.

It's going to be a madhouse. We have our viewing glasses, and I'm thinking of selling some plasma cut trinkets to take part in the fun.

Anybody here on the forum planning ahead for April 8th? Any viewing tips or ideas for the big day?

There is so much info available it is where to start. Pray for clear sky which is tough at this time of the year. Here it is normally 68% cloudy historically. It will be crazy with traffic! If one remembers the last total eclipse in 2017, a huge proportion of the US population travelled to see it, plus foreigners from around the world and scientists gathering info.
I too, booked the day off and will set up the camera with filter and laptop to control it.
There is a chance that one will also see the comet above and to the East during totality.
Here is the view at totality we hope!
Pierre

DBC34DE9-AD4D-48F9-AA4E-919BE717D241.png

We were traveling cross country in 2017 and ended up on the college campus in Kearney, Nebraska.

Was a great time followed by my wife’s first and only trip to Burning Man.

Not planning anything special this time but will throw a welding helmet into the car so i can view at work.

John

I really want to fly somewhere out to the midwest to see it because it will also be pretty wild with the cicada coming out.
Just to see what they do when the lights go out at a weird time might be interesting.
Unfortunately I don't have close family in the area anymore so it wouldn't be worth the plane fare.

If you have the chance, you must see a total solar eclipse once in your life. It's something that humanity has been in awe of for the entirety of recorded history, and you can experience it too!

Note that the difference between totality and a partial eclipse is literally night and day. You can stare at the total eclipse with your bare eyes all you want, but the moment the sun peeks out, it's over.

If you have options, look into cloud-cover probabilities for the best chances. Also, if you position yourself in the center of the path of totality, its duration is maximized, too.

We went up to Washington state, over the mountains to the dry (sunny) side, to see the 2017 eclipse. Hotels and rental cars were mighty scarce and expensive. We spent $1000 for a night in a "cheap" hotel the night before, for example.

Even though you know the timing and path is calculated to the second and virtually the last inch, the build-up is tense. The moon moves fairly slowly across the sun's face, over the space of an hour or two. But you can see it (through safe glasses) getting closer and closer. And you feel worried that some cloud might move to cover it at the wrong moment. But then the crescent finally turns into a "diamond ring" as the last bit of sun is cut off, and the real event begins.

It was totally worth it!

Niagara Falls is in the path of totality. We have been doing some work in the tourism area of Niagara Falls. The one attraction owner told me, his busiest day was when Nick Wallenda walked above the falls. He expects it'll be 10 times busier on the eclipse.
Martin

In 2017 my daughter was 12. We took the day off and photographed the eclipse from our driveway. We had a great time.

All the local authorities were running around with their heads cut off predicting the end of the world in Central Oregon. It was much ado about nothing. Yes there were a lot of local visitors but it was hardly a mad house or any where near the chaos they were predicting. I believe all the hype about the chaos drove off the majority of the eclipse tourism. People don't just show up without arrangements for a place to stay, food to eat and water to drink... the 60's are long gone. There were many locally arranged eclipse parties where visitors could observe from open fields. They came, they saw, they left. No problems.

DSC04594.JPG

DSC04673.JPG

DSC04680.JPG

DSC04706.JPG

Last edited:
Hoping to be on top of a Ski mountain in VT, albeit weather permitting. We'll be getting some much awaited snow this weekend and hopefully another dump before that weekend to keep the mountains open.

In 2017 my daughter was 12. We took the day off and photographed the eclipse from our driveway. We had a great time.

All the local authorities were running around with their heads cut off predicting the end of the world in Central Oregon. It was much ado about nothing. Yes there were a lot of local visitors but it was hardly a mad house or any where near the chaos they were predicting. I believe all the hype about the chaos drove off the majority of the eclipse tourism. People don't just show up without arrangements for a place to stay, food to eat and water to drink... the 60's are long gone. There were many locally arranged eclipse parties where visitors could observe from open fields. They came, they saw, they left. No problems.

View attachment 483763

View attachment 483764

View attachment 483765

View attachment 483766
Very much this. I lived in Albany, Oregon at the time (immediately adjacent to I-5, Oregon's busiest highway) and there wasn't even a noticeable uptick in traffic.

GsT

I remember back in 2017 my niece was at SIU in Carbondale IL. She had rented out her dorm room because of all the chaos. Made some good change for college kid. It was a good time got some great pictures. I will be participating!

Back