USA Totality Eclipse 2024

Anybody here on the forum planning ahead for April 8th? Any viewing tips or ideas for the big day?
We are driving 3700 km to Chatham, Ontario, and viewing it from the shores of Lake Erie. HOWEVER if the 'seeing' is not good, we are driving to Montreal to see it there. (another 900 km) - and then finally back to Alberta (another 3700 km).

-- for the banana lovers out there that's almost 5000 miles total...

Last edited:
Actually it was a quick test. Not a perfect focus but it does not show at this resolution.
Using a Kendrick Solar filter for visual use that fits over the end of my telescope. This is why the color is white, and it is over 20 years old. Hand held with my free hand holding the filter on the front of the lens. Manual settings as the auto settings were over exposed. ISO 100, f4.0, 1/2500 Canon Ra, 200mm 2.8 lens
Pierre

Last edited:
Figured a thread dedicated to the April 8th Total Eclipse would be of interest here.

Where we live in St. Albans, Vermont it turns out we fall on the Totality path in the US. I decided to take the day off. It turns out that was probably smart without knowing it, the local news stations in Vermont are going nuts about the tourism boom we are about to experience. I chatted with our mayor the other day and he said that a NASA rep blasted out some guidelines for local municipalities along the totality path - take your population and multiply by two. That's how many people are coming to your town on April 8th.

All schools in Chittenden and Franklin counties are closed for the day - I'm of the understanding that they are sending their students to St. Albans for the fun.

It's going to be a madhouse. We have our viewing glasses, and I'm thinking of selling some plasma cut trinkets to take part in the fun.

Anybody here on the forum planning ahead for April 8th? Any viewing tips or ideas for the big day?
welding helmets are good for viewing directly.. they recommend a 10 lens.

We are near Montreal ready for tomorrow. 6100 km so far. Meeting all the guys in Toronto was a great time!

We were traveling cross country in 2017 and ended up on the college campus in Kearney, Nebraska.

Was a great time followed by my wife’s first and only trip to Burning Man.

Not planning anything special this time but will throw a welding helmet into the car so i can view at work.

John
Not in the path or near it this time

Did get to see the one in totality on February 26 1979 also at a college, University of Idaho
Right as it hit Totality someone screamed out of a second floor dorm room window Happy freakin Doomsday!

That Got a big laugh. It does make an impression as the light fades away so quickly, an experience I will never forget.

Hope everyone that can, does go and enjoy.

Back