Vfd Installed, Lathe Up & Running :)

Very nicely done! Can you share additional information on the proximity sensor....manufacture, part number, perhaps reference to the spec sheet? I am getting ready to retrofit my lathe with a VFD (Sheldon lathe) and think the proximity switch would be an excellent feature to design in.

I also have two-stage braking: 1 sec. is used for 900 rpm and below, 3 sec (maybe 4?) for above that. It takes a WHOLE bunch of energy to stop a 80 lb. chuck spinning at 2000+ rpm... :eek:

Yea... like maybe you might flip the lathe!! :confused:

I can see it now....Bill sets parameters up for that beast of a chuck for a 1 second stop from 2000 rpm..... the chuck stops, and the entire lathe starts rotating!!:eek:

Newton's third law: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Beautiful job!
Mark's control systems are superb . He makes a simple lathe into a "Smart Lathe". I grin ear to ear now when operating my Smart lathe. Mark is always helpful,patient and kind, a real gentleman.
Congratulations on your upgrades Lonnie.

Mark's control systems are superb . He makes a simple lathe into a "Smart Lathe". I grin ear to ear now when operating my Smart lathe.

Where can one find more information about Mark and his control system?

You can send me a pm (Contact button) if you need some direct assistance, I do post the designs and suggestions on line. But I can provide more specific information as needed.
Mark

That is a beautiful setup. The proximity stop alone is worth the price of admission, no more crashes when threading.:)

Back