Vibration with Mill and Lathe on Toolbox

Put a couple a sturdy brackets from that wood piece under your lathe into the wall studs. Just make sure that there’s some sort of adjustment on both axis....the part bolting to the wall and part bolting into bottom of wood plank where it can be properly shimmed so it doesn’t twist the lathe bed. You’ll only need 2 brackets to stabilize everything. The box carries the weight and brackets would stabilize everything. Not the perfect lathe stand but a quick fix until you can do better.

That is a good idea. I can easily try it with some clamps to see of there is any improvement. I am sure it will help but that wall is not super sturdy (no vertical studs) so it might not be enough.

I think you really want something with vertical studs. Attached to just drywall isn’t going to add a lot in my opinion. It’ll loosen up after a couple of months. Maybe just put two vertical studs attached to a base plate stud and to the ceiling. You could use liquid nails for everything contacting the drywall and then once it is dry, it would be sturdy enough to stabilize the lathe.
It’s a workshop and even thought not a super clean look... you would have the upper part of the studs for added tool storage... etc. Heck, paint the studs if need be. And even after you move...pulling the studs down won’t be impossible. Just don’t use too much liquid nails on the upper half but make sure you use enough on the base plate and area near your lathe brackets.

It isn't dry wall, it is a poor man's white board. When you shut the door the wall shakes but there are horizontal studs I can attach to. I guess I should say there are horizontal studs that I can attach a vertical stud to.

Attachments

• 15761805061686146217243181199375.jpg
    15761805061686146217243181199375.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 26
Just to clarify in case of some confusion, since you don’t have traditional framing on the wall; I was suggesting attaching two horizontal studs to the exterior of your wall covering by using liquid nails. Quick & dirty and probably will do the trick.

I watched a video quite awhile ago where someone use the same toolbox for the same purpose. (Can't find it now...)
They beefed it up quite a bit.
It's basically a sheet metal shell, perhaps reinforcing on three sides would suffice and help.
That occurred to me as well, when I saw the toolbox. Angle iron on all four corners, then whatever structural steel is at hand to construct a frame. Welding would be the most sturdy, but could be done with bolts as you're basically bolting the frame onto the toolbox anyways. Kind of like an exoskeleton.

This goes back to my electronic organ repair days. It seems to be that what you have is a standing wave. Can you hear it when the lathe runs at 800 rpm. In music that is slightly above a high g. A soprano can easily sing that. Does it also vibrate at 400 rpm? It may not be as much. Place a glass of water on the bench, you may be able to see the ripples. What bothers me is that board between the lathe and tool box extending to the right. The wave length of 800 cycles is about 17". Does that board stick out about 3' which is a double of your standing wave. This is a bit of a guess since I'm not there to use my fingers to find the vibrations. Good luck.

Haven't had much time to work on the lathe. I did set some indicators on the toolbox at 800 rpm and the movement from vibration in the cross slide axis was double that of the apron. Which makes sense because there was nothing moving in the apron axis and the footprint is much smaller in that axis. Might be a different story when cutting.

I cant hear it, only feel it. That doesnt mean it isn't making noise, I just don't hear very well.

This goes back to my electronic organ repair days. It seems to be that what you have is a standing wave. Can you hear it when the lathe runs at 800 rpm. In music that is slightly above a high g. A soprano can easily sing that. Does it also vibrate at 400 rpm? It may not be as much. Place a glass of water on the bench, you may be able to see the ripples. What bothers me is that board between the lathe and tool box extending to the right. The wave length of 800 cycles is about 17". Does that board stick out about 3' which is a double of your standing wave. This is a bit of a guess since I'm not there to use my fingers to find the vibrations. Good luck.

The board on The tail stock side is mounted to the wall through the router stand and is about 3'. I am very interested to learn more, what is a standing wave?

If you throw a rock in a pool, you will see the waves radiate out in circles. Those are not standing waves since they are moving. If you take a pan of water and put it on the lathe bench and the water form stationary circle waves, those are standing waves. Finding the source of vibration can be tricky. Using your fingers is a good way. You can buy a stethoscope cheap at harbor freight and then go from there. The wood top of your bench may be acting as a resonator. A resonator is like the sound board on a piano. Without the board that thin vibrating string would be doing nothing. Hope this helps, good luck.

I have never heard or seen that. I will have to test that. This video explained it very well if anyone else is interested.

The only time I can hear the vibration is during acceleration. Once it gets to speed I don't hear anything I would consider vibration. I will definitely get a stethoscope next time I am in town.

I got it bolted to the wall with some 2x4's and now its worst vibration is at 1100RPM and I think the amplitude is decreased. All the other speed are quite smooth. When the system is vibrating I don't feel anything on the board on the tailstock side.

Back