Vises again

Cletus

Registered
Registered
Anyone with an opinion on PM's 5 Inch High Precision Milling Vise?
I bought one to accompany my PM-935TS knee mill to start off, have no intention of using the rotating base-plate, how bad could it be?
Will most likely buy me a KURT DX6 before year's end, or with the first income from the new mill (whichever comes first) :)

This guy:

Front-Closed-1.jpg

I have a Kurt for the mill.
I use the vise that came with it all the time on my bench.
It’s ok to have two.
I think This Old Tony did a video on a vise like that.
It wasn’t too bad.

Thanks for the response man. I'm trying to prioritize my "want" and "need" shopping lists.

It looks the same as the 5" Shars vise that I use. It's a solid vise (I didn't buy the rotating base with it), measures square, and I trust it not to rock or lift. It's easier to use on small parts than the heavy 7.5" next to it.

What does everyone have against the swivel bases for the Kurts etc ?

They add extra weight to an already heavy vise, consume valuable space under the quill and aren't particularly accurate. Mine hasn't been mounted since I got it. I still wouldn't be without one, but just one.

In my mind, it's an element of decoupling, the vise may not stay level across a full rotation, and it still needs to be squared every time you touch it. That may be something of a superstition with me, I see it as an imperfect device in my mind, so I don't trust it. I do keep a swiveling vise for quick work when parts need angles that don't call for a sine bar or angle block accuracy. When something is not critical, the compass mount is good enough. I just don't want to drag an indicator across the top of a part when mounted in one. So not a real solid case against them, just a nagging distrust that may or may not be founded in reality.

Ahh , OK , more of a space issue . Personally I can't live without one but I have big enough mills with plenty of Z axis . I got rid of the riser block because I never needed the extra 6 " .

Anyone with an opinion on PM's 5 Inch High Precision Milling Vise?
I bought one to accompany my PM-935TS knee mill to start off, have no intention of using the rotating base-plate, how bad could it be?
Will most likely buy me a KURT DX6 before year's end, or with the first income from the new mill (whichever comes first) :)

This guy:

View attachment 375996
The vise in the picture is sold by more than a dozen different companies under a bazillion different names. It appears to be a 5" version of the Vevor I purchased a few weeks ago for my horizontal milling machine. Here's a link to their website. Don't het hung up on their prices. I bought mine from an eBay vendor for less than $80.00, and that included free shipping.

There's a write up about mine and a picture in post 6,435 in the What Did You Buy Today thread.

Mine turned out excellent, but like most "Made in China" tools I think it's the luck of the draw. I purchased one with the swivel base as I use it regularly on the horizontal mill. If I need anything down to the accuracy of 1 second I use one of the rotary tables. I have 4 milling machine vises in the shop. a 3", a 4", a 6", and an 8". All but the 8" have swivel bases. I haven't had registration or height problems with any of them, but then again I have a full size milling machines.

Back