Vises again

I have a 6" import version of that vise. I'm sure that they are all made in the same factory and just have different sticker slapped on them. I've had it for a few years and have not had any issues with it. Is it as accurate as a Kurt? No.... But you can still make quality parts with it. It puts a a lot more responsibility on you to make sure that your setup is right though. And honestly, I think that for many of us, the accuracy we want isn't the same as the accuracy that we need.

All good responses guys, and thanks again for taking the time to write. I feel a lot better about the purchase now that i've read the above. As I get all setup and start bringing in a few $$ with this new investment (she's on the water, headed my way now), I will certainly upgrade to a DX6. In the meantime, lots more immediate use stuff to buy for the mill, as I accelerate deeper down this rabbit hole :)

I do keep a swiveling vise for quick work when parts need angles that don't call for a sine bar or angle block accuracy
Back in my apprentice days I made up sine bars for everyone in the shop . No need for blocks to set it and dead nuts accurate . No pic because I have it in at work . Simple to use in any vise .

Nice!...... A Sine Bar is a project I will be embarking on very soon after setup.

I have a PM 4” vise on my Jet 20” drill press works ok for that. If I had a 935 mill I would put at least 6” Glacern which is a nice vise. They usually have a March madness sale every year, that is when I bought mine.
CH

I have this identical looking vise, 6”, probably paid in the $80 region. I swept the swivel base, on my 0.001 indicator, the needle barely wiggled, so way below 0.001”. I like it, it’s easy to rotate the vise 90 degrees if the part fits better and lets me use the X power feed. Easy to dial back to normal, too. it makes making carbide insert holders easy as well.

I am looking at the Tegara's from Shars, going to order something tomorrow and I am still undecided. I am struggling to decide what I want . I know I need a smaller matched pair for a project but at the same time I want a bigger single to replace the old bridgeport vise that came new with my mill in the 70's. Considering a couple small vevors to hold cost down and that would be adequate for that job and drop more on the bigger 6" series Tegara or Kurt for my super nice daily.

I'm really drooling over the DX6, like $655 on Amazon with free delivery on Prime.

I've got my little sine bar in my back pocket to bring home and take some pics . I know I loaded some of it a while back . Neat little project if you own a SG .

Back