Vises again

I agree, spent 40 years in the plastics business, all the time wanting and slowly piecing together a machine shop, Sold the plastics plant and now I got money to play. I am naturally frugal but sometimes I splurge. This was one. in the end I spent $80 extra to get a new Dx6 instead of a very good Taiwan Tegara. Seemed a no brainer at that price. I am now considering to buy 2 cheap 4" ebay lockdown vises and re-work them to be good. I might even design and cut them up some KURT decals if they turn out good, the vinyl cutter is another fun piece in the shop :)

For those who get the Vevor vice, put a piece of round in the jaw and clamp down on it with an indicator on the movable jaw. If it rises as you clamp:
-spend $5 on a set of chuckable grinding heads at the auto parts store
-remove the movable jaw, and remove the ball bearing half that is buried in a glob of grease.
-clean the grease out, and use the 1/2" ball from the grinding head set to clean the casting grit out of the ball's recess. Keep at it until the recess is smooth. It will take all of two maybe even three minutes.
-polish the ball. Make it shine.
-file the ram that engages the ball until it is flat all the way across. Some have removed the ram and milled it clean. Unnecessary work. A couple minutes with a file will get it smooth and flat. (Mine literally has the casting joint in the middle of the mating surface, with flash still on from the cast!!)

You should be about 20 minutes into this if you stopped for a donut. Put it back together with a glob of grease on the mating surfaces. Test it for rise again.

You're welcome. :cool:

I just commented above I was gonna buy two cheap vises for my two vise project and rework them, and this is pretty much what I had in mind, seems if these two faces were as they were supposed to be then the darn things should work !!! in my case I may have to deal with matching bed heights as well.

Last edited:
This is the 6" Kurt on a 9 1/2 x 31 1/2 Grizzly mill table, also side by side with a 4" Glacern vise.

Wow, I have the same 4" Glacern and it is not a tiny vise. That Kurt is a monster.

Happy belated birthday to me, so glad to begin working with a vise that helps instead of works against me. My old Bridgeport vise always lifted 7-9 thou. and would always tram on the fixed jaw as worn 2-.003 on the outside edges of the jaws.
IMG_0286.jpg
IMG_0287.jpg

I have a DX6 that I really like! I DO sometimes have problems with the little plugs popping out if I'm not careful, so I'm not thrilled about that design choice, but otherwise it is a great vise.

Wow! NICE!
If you don't mind my asking, Is that the full priced one or the cosmetic defect one?
Think I'm going after one really soon. :)

Rabbit Hole.jpg

Last edited:
Back