Walker Chuck

kberta

Registered
Registered
I have a Walker chuck off an old DoAll G10. It seems to be weak and is very hard to move the lever which is on the short side of the chuck. I took it off and removed the screws from the bottom side and the top piece came off but it appears that the bottom section is sealed up and I'm not sure how to open it. It appears that it the top section may be pinned in when I look at the sides. Any idea how to get this apart? Not sure I will be out anything if I break it as I can slide pieces of metal across it when magnetized.
Mag3.jpg
Mag2.jpg
Mag4.jpg

Attachments

• Mag1.jpg
    Mag1.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 128
Sounds like it is at the end of its useful life.
There are some good videos on yutube. The magnets are very strong and can hurt you or if electrical it could still use a good cleaning. The electrical chucks use a transformer and may be DC current. You'll need to check the current to the chuck if you can find the value. Many chucks have a plaque with the information.

All the electric chucks that I have seen have been 100 volt DC

This is not electrical and the Youtube videos all show taking off the top plate and then everything is visible. I'm not so luck on this one from what I can tell. If you look in the pics there are things that look like dowel pins in the side and I'm guess those need to be removed but was wondering if I was missing something. I may try to drill and tap one and see if it will pull out.

what are the size measurements of your walker chuck? mine that I fixed is approx 6"X18 1/4" by 2 7/8" with a side handle for the cam movement on the inner magnet release and slide. mine was dry and dirty so I just cleaned and greased the inner spring pieces and made a new cam piece and put it back together(a real chore and very tricky to figure the correct cam shape cause the PO had lost the cam piece). it worked but I found out that maybe it was supposed to be filled with oil. if I ever take it apart again I will drill and tap a small hole to be able to fill it through a plug---if your magnetism isn't strong then maybe your handle isn't sliding the inner magnet section far enough to match the upper magnets. good luck--I think there is an old thread discussing the rebuilding of these walker manual chucks. I will see if I can locate it.
Dave

Permanent magnet chucks don't fail because the magnets are not good. they fail because the link mechanism tha shifts the magnets over between the poles wears out and develops into an oblong slot instead of a hole. Several famous youtubers have repaired these chucks, I've seen about 3 over the years. There are precautions in disassembling the chuck, but they are covered in the videos.

I would love to luck into an old 6X17 perm mag chuck for bench use - even one that needs repairing.

I located the old thread on permanent magnetic chucks and my replies are posts #20,22,and 24. search for
(magnetic chuck-testing and troubleshooting questions) by joe_m ----I think the thread was in 2013 and I had rebuilt my Walker 6x18 in 2008
Dave

Last edited:
It looks like it operates the same as my magnetic chuck by Walker.
Mine is much smaller.
If its like mine, it's a circular magnet. I'll see if I have pics of it.

Ok, pics helped me remember, those brass plates hold the magnet in, and provide bearing surface to keep the magnet from touching the chuck.
Only the top came off. The bottom is integral to the chuck.
Again, mine is small, yours may differ,

BTW that's the magnet in the first pic it's a round bar, with the mags (each pole) attached.

Attachments

• SDC12196.JPG
    SDC12196.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 115
  • SDC12199.JPG
    SDC12199.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 20200513_201844.jpg
    20200513_201844.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 20200513_222655.jpg
    20200513_222655.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
I agree with Dabbler. I had to do this exact thing with the chuck on my grinder. The hole was so worn that it would not demagnitize. Getting the magnet apart from the top was very tough. Those things hold good.
Joe

Attachments

• 20200705_173909.jpg
    20200705_173909.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 113
Back