Walker Chuck

I agree with Dabbler. I had to do this exact thing with the chuck on my grinder. The hole was so worn that it would not demagnitize. Getting the magnet apart from the top was very tough. Those things hold good.
Joe
Not this chuck. I believe it is the same round rod that mine is. This is not a sliding magnet I don't believe. If it were, the switch would be mounted on the side.

I would love to luck into an old 6X17 perm mag chuck for bench use - even one that needs repairing.
too bad we live so far apart and shipping heavy items is so costly, I would probably sell mine now--*note--I just flipped the handle and it still works.
Dave

Attachments

• DSCF0009 (2).JPG
    DSCF0009 (2).JPG
    229.3 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCF0008 (2).JPG
    DSCF0008 (2).JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCF0006 (2).JPG
    DSCF0006 (2).JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCF0005 (1).JPG
    DSCF0005 (1).JPG
    199 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCF0003 (2).JPG
    DSCF0003 (2).JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCF0002 (2).JPG
    DSCF0002 (2).JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 108
I had an old Walker chuck on my Parker Majestic. As @Dabbler and @Liljoebrshooter noted the biggest problem with the permanent magnet chucks is elongation of the hole in the arm. One mine it was so elongated that it was nearly worn through. I easily made a new one with some plate steel.
I spoke to Walker and they advised me not to attempt to separate the plates because of the high risk of injury. Their advice was duly heeded!

nd
I agree with Dabbler. I had to do this exact thing with the chuck on my grinder. The hole was so worn that it would not demagnitize. Getting the magnet apart from the top was very tough. Those things hold good.
Joe
there is also a small cam piece and pin that fits in the small hole that wears also. its purpose is to tilt and separate the inner section just enough to make it easier to slide back and forth the inner magnetic section. the old thread in 2013 shows the mechanism on end handle units that slides the inner section back and forth. it is totally different from the side handle models.
Dave

magnetic chuck-testing and troubleshooting questions) by joe_m
The problem I have is I took the top plate off and can't get to see the inside! It is like the bottom part is a sealed up unit of its own. It may very well be the same inside, I just can't get in there. When I took all the screws out of the bottom side, the top plate came right off and I was expecting it to be open but its not. I did just go out and buy a used 8x24 OS Walker electric mag with the Smart controls for $400. I would still like to get this fixed or at least get it open to see what the problem is.

The pic with my feet in it is the top of the magnet after I removed the top plate. I was expecting it to be open. Everything I've seen on Youtube and on this forum seem to be open once that top plate comes off. I'm not so lucky!

The problem I have is I took the top plate off and can't get to see the inside! It is like the bottom part is a sealed up unit of its own. It may very well be the same inside, I just can't get in there. When I took all the screws out of the bottom side, the top plate came right off and I was expecting it to be open but its not. I did just go out and buy a used 8x24 OS Walker electric mag with the Smart controls for $400. I would still like to get this fixed or at least get it open to see what the problem is.

The pic with my feet in it is the top of the magnet after I removed the top plate. I was expecting it to be open. Everything I've seen on Youtube and on this forum seem to be open once that top plate comes off. I'm not so lucky!
as you can see on mine there are two dowell locator pins that keep the top lined up with the bottom. also on mine you can see my top section with the parallel magnets is much thicker than your top plate. your top plate does not have the parallel magnets in it, it's just a thin plate that covers the middle section. since there are three sections to your chuck you will need to separate the bottom sections to fix your problem. if all the cap screws are out of the bottom( and handle end ) then you may need to tap on the dowell pins to separate the two bottom pieces. better pictures of your handle end would help, and a closeup of where the two lower pieces would separate. is the handle end a separate piece that needs to be removed? more pictures would help us determine how to get it all apart, and what the problem is. does the other end opposite from handle have a set screw and inner set screw that determines the end distance the middle magnetic section will stop for proper allignment? what are the dimentions of your non electric chuck?
Dave

OK. I finally got some better pics.

Attachments

• Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 97
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 97
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    163 KB · Views: 95
  • unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 98
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 95
see if on the ends those are plugs in the brass/bronze plates. I think you have like mine where there are socket head cap screws under them.
unnamed (3).jpg

I don't remember. I don't even remember them, but I have screws under mine.
I think I showed pics earlier.20220117_172457.jpg

Back