Wash machine motor wiring

If it hums but doesn't start then : the high speed winding is energized but it needs the start winding to "tip" it into rotation. You either have a bad capacitor or a bad switch.
My comment earlier was that the contact for start looked burnt.
Disconnect all power. Short the capacitor by connecting the two terminals for a moment, you might see an arc.this is very important as it discharges the stored energy in the capacitor. I can't stress enough how important this step is.
Then test the switch leads no 1 & no 10 with your proven ohm meter. Proven = connect test leads together and verify the meter reads zero ohms.
A test for the capacitor if you don't have a meter that test capacitance is,
If you take your ohm meter and with the leads to the capacitor Disconnected (you did short it, correct?) Connect one lead to each terminal the ohms reading should increase.
Reverse the leads again the meter reading should slowly build, with a digital meter it might show a negative value but that's not important.
I see the start switches on the internet for about 100.00 average.

I tested the #1-#10 for continuity on the switch and that was good despite it looking a little burnt. I took some emery and cleaned up the contacts. The capacitor checked out as well. The problem was the wiring. The start winding on this motor is the black and yellow leads. Having the energized capacitor lead going to the #10 terminal and then passing through the switch to #1 terminal was doing nothing because nothing is connected to #1(2nd pic) I took the black start winding lead that was on #2 and switched it to #1 and it worked perfectly (1st pic). The motor has been running now for 15min and no smoke so I think it’s good. Swapping the black and yellow leads reverses rotation.

Thanks for all your help guys

Attachments

• IMG_0244.jpeg
    IMG_0244.jpeg
    473.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0243.jpeg
    IMG_0243.jpeg
    474.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back