Wash machine motor wiring

It may be that the start winding is NOT a centrifugal switch inside the motor mechanism, but rather is another
element controlled by the appliance smarts. The way to implement that, is with a momentary contact
switch (press-to-start?) in addition to the main power switch, to start the motor.

1700353108556.png
Run circuit is energized before the start circuit.
I got this off a another forum and is what I used.
Look at the physics forum for a detailed description of the logic

I found that same diagram. When I hooked it up like that the motor just hummed, wouldn’t start. That looked to be the same motor I have with the 3 speeds. The one thing I wasn’t sure of was the connection between the start cap and the 10 terminal. Where should the wire from the cap go to? Also when jumping the white/black and yellow, can that be done at the terminal strip on the small terminals across from the main terminals where the wires are attached?

Attachments

• IMG_0238.jpeg
    IMG_0238.jpeg
    481.5 KB · Views: 5
I think .187 terminals fit so you could jump connections that way and run but I like the safety of a circuit designed by Jim He engineers circuits . That being said Using the oem plug, Fused or circuit breaker, power on with tell tale lamp, start and stop function.
The capacitor is directly powered through the power on circuit with the opposite terminal to 10.
Did you say you saved the capacitor?

Yes I have the capacitor. Which terminal is #10 though, all the way on the left or right?

If you are looking at the switch no.1 is on the left and no. 10 is on the far right.
Looking at the photo of your switch you can see the lower left hand contact shows signs of overheating . This is your start circuit contact it is the one your capacitor is involved with.
Didn't you say it would only run if you started to turn the shaft?
My guess is the washer was junked because the motor wouldn't run and fixing it would have been expensive. I bet the repairman wanted 200.00 for the switch and another 25- 50 for the capacitor plus labor

Actually the motor was ok, the transmission got real noisy. Yes the motor would run if I turned it by hand but I don’t think I ever had the wiring correct to get it to start on it’s own.

A sinpak switch may make life easier if you are unsure of the capacitor centrifugal switch wiring.
Simply put, the H winding and the S winding , the start capacitor, a couple momentary switches and a sinpak switch (S winding will utilize the sinpak switch) is all that is necessary to run the motor at 1725 rpm

Here is the motor wired I believe according to that latest diagram. Motor hums, will not start unless I spin it by hand. See anything wrong with the wiring?

Attachments

• IMG_0242.jpeg
    IMG_0242.jpeg
    732.2 KB · Views: 7
A sinpak switch may make life easier if you are unsure of the capacitor centrifugal switch wiring.
Simply put, the H winding and the S winding , the start capacitor, a couple momentary switches and a sinpak switch (S winding will utilize the sinpak switch) is all that is necessary to run the motor at 1725 rpm
Thanks for that, but I don’t want to buy anything. The whole idea was a free motor, no idea what you’re even talking about. I need to take a motors for dummies class I guess.

Back