Washing machine....leaking

Firstgear

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
It was 20 years old, so maybe it was time anyways. But I can’t help but think that maybe the aluminum slivers that my t-shirts sometimes has on them had something to do with the leak. What does everyone wear when milling (my biggest contributor)?

shop apron?
wash clothes at laundromat?
???

I just wear "street" clothes both at home and when I was working. I bought my first machine in 1972 and my wife has been washing my clothes in our washing machine since we were married in 1974 with no ill effects. I do try to keep myself clean when working in the shop, grease and oil seem to be more of a problem than chips.

I wear coveralls whenever I am in the shop, and take them off at the door when I come inside.
Otherwise, my wife finds metal shavings and chips everywhere thru the house.

However, that produces another problem.......how to wash the coveralls......
Last time I did in the regular household laundry equipment it left a big greasy ring around the inside of the washer at the water level.
So then I had to wash out the washing machine.

Yeah I have thought about taking them to the coin-wash, but that's just rudely making it someone else's problem.

I have also thought about throwing them in a bucket with water and soap putting on a lid and throwing it all in the back of the truck for a week.
Even if that's just a pre-wash step to using the household machines, and even if it needs a couple rounds.

However, currently that would end up a frozen block until spring.

So currently, I wear coveralls until they are so dirty that I don't want to wear them anymore, then I throw them out.
Of course, they usually are suffering other trauma by then (rips, cuts, burns, etc.), so it's no big deal.......

I try to pick up a couple pairs when they go on sale, so that I always have a clean one on the shelf.

-brino

Last edited:
I wear a leather shop apron. Works well and nothing gets stuck in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apron, when I can remember. Otherwise I spend a ridiculous amount of time picking the chips out of my shirt before I leave the shop.

I think 20 years for an appliance is great now days. Ours just started leaking too. It is just over 10 years old.

I make little deflectors with pieces of cardboard and masking tape, that keeps the chips off me. Gotta deal with chips under the shoes tho
The Whirlpool that was here when I bought the place in '89 is still working. It leaked a little a few years ago then stopped. Self-healing, apparently
They've eliminated that feature by now I'm sure

Thirteen years ago, while waiting to close escrow on my house in the mountains, I realized I would need a washer and dryer. I found an add in the local paper and called the number. He had a large capacity Kenmore washer and dryer listed for $160, and was willing to deliver (45 miles one way) and set them up for $200. I'm still using them everyday. They have no electronics of any sort, but I do have to replace a thermal fuse or heating element from time to time. Hoping they last as long as I do. Keeping the chips out and fingers crossed.

I don't wear clothes, then I just have to brush them out of my chest/ belly/ ?! hair :)

Is it an upright washing machine? Probably just needs a new seal on the agitator, shouldn't cost more than a few bucks. Or one of the joins involving the water pump is leaking..

I think 20 years for an appliance is great now days. Ours just started leaking too. It is just over 10 years old.

The problem is only machines from 20 years ago will last that long.
We recently bought a new set, I doubt we'll get 10 years out of them.

It's just how stuff is built now, "to the lowest price".
If they can make any piece of metal or plastic thinner and save a few pennies they do.
If they can get springs and fasteners from lower-cost suppliers they do.

Do these changes negatively impact the lifetime of the machine?......they do!

-brino

Back