Washing machine....leaking

Had a Kenmore, bought it used. Used this thing for 20years. Great machine, then one day it died. This is what made it an even greater machine. It started to make funny noises, but it waited till the full wash cycle was completed. None of this tub full of dirty water with clothes. Also, it was the time when appliance stores were having their big sales:grin big:. It was much too old to get parts. Took it apart, able to savage nice pieces of cast iron, steel, stainless to use in my shop. The new one, so far 5 years. I think that it has plastic gears in the transmission:disturbed:. Begged the wife not to over load and keep the load balance.

I wouldn't expect any new washing machine to last 20 years or more like an old Maytag, but the smart ones today will mix the soap and water together before it gets to your clothes. They auto fill to the right level so your daughter doesn't wash a bra with it set to extra large while your not home. And the best part is that they spin the daylights out of the clothes at the end to get all of the water out, saves energy with the dryer. Remember the exploding washing machines about 10 years ago? They got part of the equation correct on that one.

I bought a Kenmore washer and dryer when our first child was almost ready to pop. That was in 1969. I had to rebuild the transmission in the mid 90’s and re-banded (belt drive) the dryer the same time. Just like working on a cars tranny. All repair parts were readily available at the local sears store and cheap too. Last month the motor and timer assembly went out on the washer. Parts? You gotta be kidding, nowhere to be found. Too old they said. Broke down and finally after 50 years and got a new washer and dryer. LG whoever they are. Far too many buttons and options for a simple task of just washing clothes. I’ve used three out of probably around 100 possible different washing options. The things use a LOT less water and power but take a long time to do their job.
i hope they last half as long as the old setup, but I highly doubt it.

The Grumpy Old Guy

Several washing machines have had problems from the girls hairclips and once a screw,(not me), and I have collected a few motors from these electronic ones. If the electronics go they are binned as everything will be obsolete. Both my washer and dryer are over 25 years old, mechanical switching and apart from removing an odd object from the pump and a belt replacement on both plus paint touch-ups they are going strong.
I wash the really dirty stuff in one of those camping hand washers with de-greaser, rinse with a hose and then wash as normal. I wouldn't touch anything electronic.

I had some coins go thru the pump somehow years ago . Broke and cracked it to pieces . I use a whole lot of 2 part epoxy and the thing is working to this day . Now , the new toilet that I just installed is a different story . The tank is filling ever so slowly . For some reason the bottom of the bowl has a lot of sediment in it , which most likely has migrated into the tank valve . This is todays job . Being I work in a filter company you'd think this wouldn't happen , but we all know how that story goes . :rolleyes:

Appliance problems always seem part of some cascade of problems around here. And I don't always get the connection. We bough new dishwasher and fridge when we moved in both Maytag. About 2ys after we bought it went on the fritz. Called out a repairman and he pulled the motherboard that was built into the door. He showed me how it had a film touch pad on the top of the door and the MB was full of coffee residue. Then I remembered something to do with the coffee maker blowing out and flooding the counter and put it all together. Got the MB under warranty and put it in myself. And moved the coffee maker to the other side of the sink.

Look on Craigslist etc. for a coin-op laundry that's renovating or liquidating. I did this 10 years ago and picked up a commercial "Wascomat" machine in good condition for $300, it still works perfectly, never any issues. Even so, these machines are designed to be easily reparable and parts are readily available. You can rig the coin receptor to not need coins. The single phase machines might be a little harder to find is some areas but 3 phase isn't a problem for many of us anyway :)

When my "coveralls" aka "overalls" get beyond wearable due to all the grime, oil, grease, paint etc I fill a bucket with hot water and either Dawn dish soap or some laundry detergent, then throw in my "unmentionables", cover and either let soak overnight or go straight to the local DIY car wash with the pull in bays and hang my skivies from the floor mat clips to give them a good go over with the pressure wand until the water runs soap free. Works great!

Last edited:
go straight to the local DIY car wash with the , pull into a bay and hang my skivies from the floor mat clips to give them a good go over the pressure wand until the water runs soap free. Works great!

Now there is a great idea that I will be using!

Funny, when I bought an old roller front tool box I pulled all the drawers and headed for the car wash.
It never occurred to me to use it for my coverall too!

Thanks!
-brino

Back