Washing machine....leaking

I wish my last washing machine would have lasted 10 years, hardly lasted 7 years. They had a recall on it and a buy back program, the pro rated amount they were willing to pay made it not even worth filling out the paper work. I looked into new parts to fix it and upgrade the recall and it was about the same to get a new one!

I hate to rile the fates but chips and grease has never caused a leak for me but forgotten paper towels have. A piece got under the pump seal. I pulled the old pump on the Maytag and was there to get another and luckily a service tech saw it and asked if it was leaking. Then told me how to take it apart and what kind of lube I needed and off it went. The washers after it were not as robust or easy to fix.

Mechanical I can deal with and simple electrical but these new appliances with micro processors are another kettle o' fish. A really good trick is if you have something kinda greasy is add a cup of borax to the load along with the usual amount of liquid soap. It helps clean the machine while in use and for horizontal tubs it gets rid of mildew smell.

Our old Maytag front-loader recently developed a water leak. Turns out the solenoid-operated valve on the hot water inlet was leaking. It slowly filled the tub several inches above the bottom lip of the door and started leaking. You can bet I was surprised when I opened the door....

Apparently that is not an uncommon failure mode for this vintage of washer. No metal chips needed to cause it to fail.

Remember the days before disposable diapers when we used to wash a load of cloth diapers every day? The ole Maytag just chugged away year after year. Those days are gone.
Nowadays even the best front loaders will likely start leaking before 10 years are up. Then the main bearing goes shortly after. Unless you actually found a chip imbedded in a seal I would expect that with todays washers leaks are gonna happen, chips or not.

We had a washer and drier at work for coveralls. About once a year someone would leave a screw driver in their pocket. The end would go out through the holes in the drum and tear the tub to sheds.
I have an old top load washer. Do the new low water consumption front load ones clean really dirty work clothes. My thought is you need the water volume to suspend the amount of dirt on my clothes.

Greg

Life Expectancy of Major Household Appliances:

It was 20 years old, so maybe it was time anyways. But I can’t help but think that maybe the aluminum slivers that my t-shirts sometimes has on them had something to do with the leak. What does everyone wear when milling (my biggest contributor)?

shop apron?
wash clothes at laundromat?
???
Your washer must have visited our dishwasher during the night. :grin:
It's crapped out this morning.
And the laser printer needs a refill.
And it's gloomy outside.

Our previous Maytag stackable had quit draining once. This was the smaller style set.
Torn it down, got the pump out and guess what had clogged the pump?
Sawdust... oops - my bad.

Life Expectancy of Major Household Appliances:

Sorry, but that seemed so general as to not really be useful. I've gotten a really dim view of appliance repairmen(except that guy who gave me the tip:) ). The best thing that ever happend for me was independent appliance parts stores. There was chain where we used to live that was owned by some grumpy women that were so good it was scary. Now we have the net and man has that saved me!

Our first front loader was a Fridgedaire that was on sale being last years model. It was wonderful till it was past extended warranty. It wouldn't go into spin, would drain but not spin. Looked on YouTube and there was a kid who didn't even know how to pronounce Fridgedaire telling how to press three different buttons to put it into diagnostic mode! In that mode I could make it spin and get a trouble code. The problem was the electric door lock!?!?!? Another vid showed the down and dirty way to swap out the lock. It was $90 and then went several years more. We replaced it with another front loader Maytag supposed industrial unit that also was on sale. It has been mighty good but here I am talking about, what a dummy.

My mom got a new washer and dryer after we moved back to the states from Africa in 1972. The pair have been moved no less than 10 times and are still running today. There have been repairs made, belts, heating coils, temperature fuses, pump seals and once a pump replaced after it tried to suck a sock through and failed but ground itself apart trying. The things were built like tanks and weigh at least twice what a new one does but they have lasted.

At the fire department we had a brand new front load washer we used for washing our gear after fires and other calls when they got dirty or greasy as they did when we cut up cars. It lasted less than a year before the pump went out. The impeller was shredded, likely by gravel picked up on roofs and roads. And the way the thing was put together the pump was unserviceable. If the impeller went the whole pump had to be replaced along with the intake and discharge hoses as they were glued together.

It was replaced with an older washer with a cast iron pump which last I heard is still running like a champ.

Success here. Somehow resurrected a 17yo whirlpool dishwasher.
Not sure what exactly I did to fix it but it's running a second load right now. [Knock-on-Wood]
Took out the underside, pump and all, cleaned it up, oiled the motor and somehow it's working.
Boy after that many years the parts get kinda brittle.
I'll take it as a win, I'll start looking for a replacement but it will be on my terms and not rushed.

Back