Weld and recut or replace

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
This is a shaft from the transmission of a John Deere tractor. It is discontinued so finding a replacement has been near impossible. I can weld it up or make a new one.

Welding is problematic from a heat treat standpoint. What material should be used for toughness but still be able to machine?

Making a new one is problematic from a straightness standpoint. I'm worried about sending it out for heat treat and having it come back not straight. What material should I use?

20240112_155938.jpg

20240112_155948.jpg

Last edited:
And what model tractor?

I was going to suggest welding up the spline area and recutting the splines
Then perhaps do a little straightening if required with a press
This engages the clutch plate. Do you think a weld cam handle the pressure? What type of weld material?

I worked for Durst, a division of Regal Beloit, making John Deere transmission gears and shafts for a little while. Most all of our gears and shafts were made from 8620 steel. HTH.
And I have made a couple of Wabco motor grader hydraulic drive shafts out of 4140 Rc40 which did not run on needle bearings, ( had to make it 2 times because dummy ranch hands did not want to wait for hydraulic oil to warm up in -10 degree F Colorado weather).

Back