Weld and recut or replace

I haven't brought it home yet to measure it up. Just assessing if it's something I can do.
If it is long and thin,you could have a bending issue otherwise you should be fine. Let us know when you do have it.

I would always start with repair. If you do not like the way that turns out then you can still make new.
Because of things moving during heat treat, critical dimension are left oversize for final grinding to size after heat treat.

If you have hardness files check the hardness of the shaft in various locations, It likely could be heat treated in only the critical areas
Lol. You think I've got the equipment to post heat treat grind?

This would need to be ready to use from heat treat.

I worked on a fair amount of transmissions in the past and case hardening is used a lot. The depth of hardness is about .010” on Ford types and GM is usually about .030” and if done properly would not require finish grind IMHO.

I worked for Durst, a division of Regal Beloit, making John Deere transmission gears and shafts for a little while. Most all of our gears and shafts were made from 8620 steel. HTH.
And I have made a couple of Wabco motor grader hydraulic drive shafts out of 4140 Rc40 which did not run on needle bearings, ( had to make it 2 times because dummy ranch hands did not want to wait for hydraulic oil to warm up in -10 degree F Colorado weather).
Had to look up 8620.

Source, AZO Materials.

""AISI 8620 alloy steel is a common, carburizing alloy steel. This alloy steel is flexible during hardening treatments, thus enabling improvement of case/core properties. The following datasheet will provide more details about AISI 8620 alloy steel.""

I'm guessing carburizing is common in manufacturing considering the cost savings for materials??

If you make new, use 8620, case harden .030 deep. If needle rollers run directly on the shaft, Rc 60-62, if not, Rc 55-60
Provides hard wear surface and tough, fracture resistant core.
We always asked the heat treater to straighten. They are equipped to do it.
Ask them what is appropriate and possible before you start.

Don't know if they're still in business.
Edwards Heat Treating Service · 642 McCormick St. San Leandro, CA 94577 · (510) 638-4140

You can finish turn this kind of thing with ceramic or CBN.

Quote “I'm guessing carburizing is common in manufacturing considering the cost savings for materials??”
For John Deere it was.

Back