Weld and recut or replace

I think a 6xxx series rod would be plenty strong enough, but you could also use 7 series for additional hardness
but it would be harder to machine also

Last edited:
Could always just cut a new shaft

I mentioned that in the original post, but what are my chances of having it survive heat treat without warping? I have one shot, not years of trial and error.

I have had a similar situation like that and my heat treatment professional told me to weld the splines with an LH rod and machine it and he heat treated the shaft and so far there was no issues. He also said to me that he has done this in the past and have not had a comeback yet. My 2 cents.

I have had a similar situation like that and my heat treatment professional told me to weld the splines with an LH rod and machine it and he heat treated the shaft and so far there was no issues. He also said to me that he has done this in the past and have not had a comeback yet. My 2 cents.
LH rod?

I would always start with repair. If you do not like the way that turns out then you can still make new.
Because of things moving during heat treat, critical dimension are left oversize for final grinding to size after heat treat.

If you have hardness files check the hardness of the shaft in various locations, It likely could be heat treated in only the critical areas

Back