Weld and recut or replace

I sent a screen shot and description of your shaft to my friend , retired certified welder , he says to preheat it to 600 degrees then use 120-10 but if you can’t find it use 90-18 . ( I had to look up those rods I’ve never heard of them . Then again I’m not a welder lol ) Then it can be machined

Last edited:
I would turn the splines down and weld up the spline area a little at a time no more than an inch or so at a time. The only part that can warp is the end that fits in the clutch center bearing. If that happens it can be welded and turned down the other end of the shaft is the critical part and shouldn’t be effected. It is hardened and ground to a close tolerance. It can be done on a lathe. Just not something it would do if I could avoid it. It is amazing some of the work i see here. The tractor is worth repairing. Show us what is the final part whether repaired or new made. We love seeing pictures of good work. Wish the best.

Another option is find any other shaft with the same splined end, cut off bad end, turn a pilot and taper, weld in good end.

Back