Weld and recut or replace

You could probably use a tool post grinder or rig up a die grinder to do the same for that bearing journal.

I happen to have a TPG and for my lathe it can be fairly accurate for short sections.
On longer sections the bed wear comes into play and causes some taper.

You could probably use a tool post grinder or rig up a die grinder to do the same for that bearing journal.

I happen to have a TPG and for my lathe it can be fairly accurate for short sections.
On longer sections the bed wear comes into play and causes some taper.
+1

Good opertunity to acquire a tool post grinder, make or buy one, you don't need it often it is sure nice to have when you do need it. We all like getting new tools. I found mine used for $100.

The shaft is metric. The splines have a distinct radius to them. The farmer needs the shaft back to move the tractor out of the shop so I won't get a chance to figure out the angles and curvature. They look more like gear teeth than splines.

This is with a 40⁰ included angle point in the groove.

20240114_144908.jpg

I need to buy gear tooth gauges so I can at least figure out what it is.

Those are involute splines, I believe, so can be cut with a gear cutter of appropriate module. Treat it as a gear, see what you come up with. 1144 stressproof should be nice to work with for this?

Back