Weld and recut or replace

Quote “I'm guessing carburizing is common in manufacturing considering the cost savings for materials??”
For John Deere it was.
It's not an economy thing, it just produces the best combination of characteristics. Hard, wear resistant surface with a tough, fracture resistant core. Case hardened 8620 is the go to for gear manufacturing.

It's not an economy thing, it just produces the best combination of characteristics. Hard, wear resistant surface with a tough, fracture resistant core. Case hardened 8620 is the go to for gear manufacturing.

I have a piece of 2" diameter 8620. I might go up and get the shaft and start planning out a new one. Then I can decide what diameter I need and I can order a piece closer to the right diameter.

I'd like to buy a couple of spline cutters once my buddy helps me figure out what I need.

The case hardening would have to be done by a professional.

I have a piece of 2" diameter 8620. I might go up and get the shaft and start planning out a new one. Then I can decide what diameter I need and I can order a piece closer to the right diameter.

I'd like to buy a couple of spline cutters once my buddy helps me figure out what I need.

The case hardening would have to be done by a professional.
Did most of my splines with a hand ground HSS bit in a flycutter.

I'm going to pick it up in the morning. I'll measure it up and figure out the splines

If I remember correctly that shaft od is precision ground. An expensive part to make. A lot of good recommendations on how to make the part. The farmer in me tells me to check and see if the part is available at one of the many tractor wrecking yards. I have went that way on a couple of older tractors. The 2440 was a good tractor and worth the effort to repair. The 2750 from the same time era that I have is one of the best tractors I have had. It has over 14,000 hours of work on it. Good luck with the project.

If I remember correctly that shaft od is precision ground. An expensive part to make. A lot of good recommendations on how to make the part. The farmer in me tells me to check and see if the part is available at one of the many tractor wrecking yards. I have went that way on a couple of older tractors. The 2440 was a good tractor and worth the effort to repair. The 2750 from the same time era that I have is one of the best tractors I have had. It has over 14,000 hours of work on it. Good luck with the project.

This is the only part that is precision ground. I think I can fake it good enough to get by. Even case hardened I should be able to turn this area if left a bit oversized. We don't need 60 rc as stated earlier. I can polish it in the last 0.001".

Screenshot_20240113_221011_Gallery.jpg

Have you tried Fitts Tractors in Cascade VA? ** EDIT - just tried to find the phone number, and appears to have gone out of business and all auctioned off last Nov. Thats sad, I had been going there since the early 80's. He had a tractor "junkyard" with acres of tractors and parts. When he passed, I guess it was too much for the sons.

Back