Welding cart build

And rod storage, used 11/2" pvc pipe for my tig cart. Mike
Thanks Mike, I forgot to add rod storage. Definitely on my list.

First use the rectangle command to draw a 1" square. Then there are two ways to get the wall thickness. The long way is to set guide lines .06 in from each side and then draw in the lines. The easy way is to use the offset command with .06 and it will draw all of the lines for you. The last step is to highlight the center and delete it. Now you have a 1x1x .06 wall tube cross section.

Have you downloaded sketchup make 2017? You should and then set up the toolbars like I have them in the screen shot I posted. I tried a bunch of different arrangements for the toolbars before finally settling on the layout posted. I found that layout to be the most convenient for me.

Another thing I did after using sketchup for awhile was to take each command and see what it did and how to use it. I wish I had done this to start with. I still reference my Sketchup for Dummies book whenever I haven't done something in awhile. Or when things don't seem to go the way I expected them to. And I can't overemphasis the need to break your drawing down into lots of groups. Each component should be in its own group. It makes life much easier.

Yea that looks like a 20lb CO₂ tank and perhaps a small Argon tank? Someone who could use one of my Frankenmixers so they can have both Ar for TIG (or MIG aluminum) and be able to mix their own C25 (or C10) when they feel like it. :)

Thanks Aaron.
Looks like you’re running CO2 for your MIG. Or am I mistaken?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes CO2 for MIG and Argon for TIG. CO2 is much cheaper but I haven't tried a CO2 Argon mix to see if it significantly improves my welds. I bought my tanks from a local welding supply and they will let me swap to a different gas if I need something different at no charge beyond the cost of gas.

Started the actual build tonight by cutting the shelves to width.
37e1d59e65eaacfa50ada08dd03dfb26.jpg

c7f906ff04b8353e09587bbbf718e743.jpg

826387c021b3e7814a03cd7207056897.jpg

I’m pretty happy with the welds :)
17 volts
230 ipm wire speed.
.024 wire.

Last edited:
David, there may be some arguments but in my opinion those are pretty beads. I think the trick is to add some heat and go a bit faster with less filet.
I think you will get a stronger weld.
I work with a certified welder who turned auto technician.
If I brought him that part he would say, more voltage less wire feed and speed up. It's real easy to burn through though.
It's a dance.
Now, I may be full of poop but that's what I see.
You have to take any advise you get from me with a grain of salt.

David, there may be some arguments but in my opinion those are pretty beads. I think the trick is to add some heat and go a bit faster with less filet.
I think you will get a stronger weld.
I work with a certified welder who turned auto technician.
If I brought him that part he would say, more voltage less wire feed and speed up. It's real easy to burn through though.
It's a dance.
Now, I may be full of poop but that's what I see.
You have to take any advise you get from me with a grain of salt.

I think you’re bang on Jeff.
I have cutoffs I can experiment with using higher voltage, less wire and faster travel speed.
It is absolutely a dance. I’ve only just sorted out the issues I was having with burn through on 16 ga and that was all about too hot and too much wire. So I need to find the middle ground.

David,
Before I begin a welding project I always have to sharpen my skills by practicing on the material I am about to weld. That gets my heat, feed and speed in range.
Cheers mate.

Back