Well.... I done did it now.............

FHJ69

Registered
Registered
This week I pulled the trigger and ordered the PM-1440GT with a Hitachi WJ200-022SF 3HP, 230V,1PH Frequency Inverter. This is my first and I guess only lathe I will ever own so I figured go big and send it or don't even try. Any suggestions for a newbe for reference material? I have a few months wait ahead of me and have some ideas as to some projects but I want to be smart about it so I don't break it. This has been a life long dream and I'm setting myself up for my retirement years to keep busy. Thanks for all the input on the other threads. Great bunch of folks here.

You should have bought a 1640-TRL at least. If I did not say that, I would be derelict in my duties here by suggesting bigger and more money. :)

But seriously, congrats on the lathe!

FHJ69,
Congratulations!!!!
That's great. Make sure you share your experiences with us as you get acquainted.
When is the big day?

There are quite a few youtube videos on different lathe techniques.
Tom's Techniques
This Old Tony
Blondihacks
have some pretty good tutorial material. There are plenty others ...

Thanks for the welcome! I just bought the book recommended above and will check out the you tube channels. PM is saying lead time is late September to early October.

Congrats on the new lathe!

A copy of Machinery’s Handbook would be good for looking things up like threads, tapers, etc. You don’t need a new edition, the information you most likely would need hasn’t changed in decades, so find a cheap, older copy. Or, I bought a digital copy of it so that I can print the pages I use the most and keep them in a binder where I am working. The advantage of this is the pages are much larger than the book and I can reprint a page if it gets dirty or torn. The downside is remembering where you left the CD!

I also have the two volume series Machine Shop Practice by Moltrecht, a lot of great info in there.

In the meantime, you can also sign up for Fusion360, it’s free for hobbyists, and design the projects you want to make. When I come across something I want to build, I make a drawing of it in Fusion and then make manufacturing drawings I use at the machines. Many of the old project drawings you find use fractions for most of it, and I hate working in fractions, so I make the drawings with useful dimensions and add views for clarity that are often missing in the old drawings, or hard to read.

Congrats on the lathe. You won't be disappointed.

On lead time, prepare for longer and be pleased if comes in the time window. PM can only base their lead time on what the factory says which is subject to delay. Shipping and customs can also slow things down. Either way it will be worth the wait.

Their is a lot of good info on youtube. I really like Joe Pieczynski and how he presents.

Back