Well.... I done did it now.............

Since you have that much lead time if I was in your position I would buy a cheap smaller lathe. You can make your first mistakes and get some experience so when your “forever lathe” shows up you can really start using it.

Just a thought.

John

While you are waiting take some time and make a purchase of a good horizontal band saw to go with it. It will get frequent use.

If you don’t have one and pull out a 2 inch steel bar to cut down to size with a hacksaw you will know why you need one!

Do you have 240 volt outlets near where you want to put it? That would be a good project while you are waiting, as well as installing some lights
or maybe shopping for a couple measurement tools if you don't have them yet.
You'll have a ton of fun with that lathe, good choice :)
-Mark
Keep an eye out for a small bench grinder, you might want to investigate the wonderful world of grinding your own tool bits, it's easy and fun
You can sometimes find them at garage sales and on Craigslist

congrats on your purchase. the 1440GT is a great lathe - big and heavy enough to be solid, but small enough for a garage.

There is a you tube channel called Ultimate reloader by user name Gavintoobe that features a lot of content specifically about the PM 1440GT.
When anticipating something new, it's always great to enjoy some videos specifically geared toward what you bought to help familiarize.

Welcome to the site . :) Good to see another Marylander on here .

Hi, I'm glad you brought up the CAD thing.... With me not being the brightest bulb in the lamp I have been looking at Solid Works since I get that free through the EAA. But in all honestly it seems like you need to be a rocket scientist to understand that. Is Fusion 360 less hateful? I am also delving into threads on how to install the VFD on the 1440GT and I am already in over my head. LOL!

The making with metal you tuber Gavin is the one who was the final selling point for the PM-1440GT. I don't personally know the guy but he's earned my respect.

Don't know where you are in Maryland or what your schedule looks like. But, if it worked out, you might consider taking a machining course at a local technical school. Good option if you have very little experience.

Thanks.

Hugh

Hi, I'm glad you brought up the CAD thing.... With me not being the brightest bulb in the lamp I have been looking at Solid Works since I get that free through the EAA. But in all honestly it seems like you need to be a rocket scientist to understand that. Is Fusion 360 less hateful? I am also delving into threads on how to install the VFD on the 1440GT and I am already in over my head. LOL!

The making with metal you tuber Gavin is the one who was the final selling point for the PM-1440GT. I don't personally know the guy but he's earned my respect.

Fusion360 has a steep learning curve, but if you watch videos by Arnold Rountree and Lars Christensen, it won’t take long to become proficient with it. There’s a forum here too where you can ask questions on it if you get stuck. I can’t speak for Solidworks since I have never used it.

Back