Well.... I done did it now.............

@currinh I am in the Peoples Republic of Montgomery County. I do plan on hitting the Community College when I retire from my present position but time does now allow that for me at the moment. My fear is that the PRMC will disband trade education sooner then later.

Any suggestions for a newbe for reference material? I
Congratulations on your new lathe purchase. Are you planning to build your own control system for integrating the VFD into the lathe?

I'm not clear on your existing level of experience with a metal lathe, but here are my suggestions on YouTube video resources that are ideal for learning mill and lathe skills - in ascending order by level of sophistication. They all have something to contrubute, but these are my favorites, and there are many others. If I had to pick one as a beginner, I'd watch Joe Pieczynski from his first video onward in spite of his sometimes pedantic style. Second on my list would be Keith Fenner from the beginning.

Blondihacks
Clickspring **

MrPragmaticLee
Clough42
Abom79
This Old Tony **
Build Something Cool
BasementShopGuy
Keith Rucker
Randy Richard
Joe Pieczynski *
Ox Tools *
Keith Fenner *
Stefan Gotteswinter *
Edge Precision
Robin Renzetti

* I have picked up the most valuable information from these contributors
** These contributors have the most entertaining and engaging formats

I use Solidworks. I began learning when I helped mentor a high school robotics team. I found it very intuitive to learn. I tried to learn Fusion 360 but it is so different from Solidworks I gave up. I joined the EAA to keep using Solodworks after I left the team.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Congratulations on your new lathe purchase. Are you planning to build your own control system for integrating the VFD into the lathe?

I'm not clear on your existing level of experience with a metal lathe, but here are my suggestions on YouTube video resources that are ideal for learning mill and lathe skills - in ascending order by level of sophistication. They all have something to contrubute, but these are my favorites, and there are many others. If I had to pick one as a beginner, I'd watch Joe Pieczynski from his first video onward in spite of his sometimes pedantic style. Second on my list would be Keith Fenner from the beginning.

Blondihacks
Clickspring **

MrPragmaticLee
Clough42
Abom79
This Old Tony **
Build Something Cool
BasementShopGuy
Keith Rucker
Randy Richard
Joe Pieczynski *
Ox Tools *
Keith Fenner *
Stefan Gotteswinter *
Edge Precision
Robin Renzetti

* I have picked up the most valuable information from these contributors
** These contributors have the most entertaining and engaging formats
Hi David, I've been reading your posts and you are a man to listen to as far as I am concerned. I will take your advice and keep researching and drilling down with these videos. As fir the VFD issue.... I have so much to learn and want to do it right the first time. At this point in time I am totally clueless but the CFO (Wife) said I can pull the trigger on the lathe and everything that I've read is that the VFD on the 3 Phase motor has more advantages than using a single phase motor or using a 3 phase rotary converter. I have so much to learn.

More of the MTV era than youtube, so VHS instead of HD but there is a great introductory series of machine shop videos from MIT done in (probably) the 1980s. I found them very helpful when I started out, not flashy but straight forward and aimed at the complete novice. I think this is what students had to watch before being turned loose in the shop.

MIT machine shop videos

Don’t forget, in addition to the starter lathe, the bandsaw, the grinder, the dial indicators, digital calipers, snap gages, the MILL!

Back