Well... I finally did it. PM-833TV (now in my shop!)

Skowinski

Registered
Registered
I posted a thread almost 3 months ago asking about buying a PM mill, at the time wasn't sure about a bench mill or a small knee mill. I finally made a decision and ordered an 833TV. Thought I'd start this thread to chronicle my experiences with PM and with their milling machine, and to no doubt ask stupid questions LOL. Thanks so much to everyone who has responded to my private messages asking questions about their machines, and thanks to all who posted in my (now old) thread.

I ordered the better R8 collet set, 0-1/2 keyless drill chuck, clamping set, and the base with the mill, to get me started.

I decided not to order a vise, and didn't order the DRO or power feeds, yet. First up, I wanted to get what I presume will be a better vise than I could get through PM (Homge), with not breaking the bank any worse in mind. I've been looking at the Glacern GSV-440 (4") or GSV-550 (5") standard vises. Does anyone have experience with these, would you recommend them?

Great choice, and a manageable mill size. On the vise, lots of controversy as to the "best" size, but I would recommend a 6" CNC or compact (shorter) type. Width is important, and much larger availability of parallels, jaws, etc. What I read in the past is the Shar's vices are pretty much the same as the Glacern, there may be some QC differences, they are about 20% less. A true CNC type vise (those that can be stacked side by side with no feet extending out) tends to be shorter in overall length, which may be desirable. Personally I would spring for a Kurt DX6, I compared it's dimensions to other standard type vise and it is about the same length as the GSV-550. The DX6 is about 2-3" shorter than a standard 6" vise (non-CNC style). A bit more cost than a 5", but it is the center of the mill and should last a lifetime even if you change your mill down the line. FYI, if you do decide to go with a DRO, you can go cheap direct from China with glass scales, or order from the UK and get magnetic scales with something like the ES12B or C style for a lot less than purchasing in the US. Ultimately you will probably want to add or make drives for your Z and X axis. I use a keyless chuck on my mill, I went with a 5/8" chuck just to have a bit more range for larger drills.

If on a tight budget look at the Shar's CNC, although this one is 3" longer than the DX6.

Look at the scratch and dent area for Kurt work holding web page. They sometimes have the DX6 and the DX4 in the scratch and dent area. I bought a DX4 scratch and dent vise and I can not find an imperfection on it.

Roger L

Thanks for the comments on vises guys. I'll look further into my options before I decide.

Anyone who has a 833TV have a manual for it? The PM website has the 833T manual linked for both 833's. Much is shared between these two mills, but the head, drive system, and controls for the motor are different.

I have a 4” Glacern vise on my mill.
I went 4” because anything larger was too large for the table. Either overhanging the column side and consuming Y axis travel or off the front side and limiting utility because the Y axis has to be cranked in so far to get under the spindle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 4” Glacern vise on my mill.
I went 4” because anything larger was too large for the table. Either overhanging the column side and consuming Y axis travel or off the front side and limiting utility because the Y axis has to be cranked in so far to get under the spindle....

Thanks, yes I've been looking at dimensions. PM sells both 4 and 5 inch vises for this machine, but the 4 looks a better fit. And - Glacern has some of their vises on something like a summer sale right now...... looks like I could pick up a GSV-440 or 550 for $330-$370, that seems like a pretty good deal.

Thanks, yes I've been looking at dimensions. PM sells both 4 and 5 inch vises for this machine, but the 4 looks a better fit. And - Glacern has some of their vises on something like a summer sale right now...... looks like I could pick up a GSV-440 or 550 for $330-$370, that seems like a pretty good deal.
I can shoot you some pics of my Glacern if you'd like to see some real-life photos.

Here is mine with a PM 5" vise on it.

Attachments

• 2020-08-14 18.24.59.jpg
    2020-08-14 18.24.59.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 520
  • 2020-08-14 18.25.21.jpg
    2020-08-14 18.25.21.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 520
Back