Well... I finally did it. PM-833TV (now in my shop!)

Here is mine with a PM 5" vise on it.
Here is the Kurt DX6 on my PM833T. It does not feel too big or get in the way. If you can get it from the factory direct as a "second" it is a great deal.

Ariel

20200509_215205 c.jpg
20200509_215225 c.jpg

20200509_215243 c.jpg
20200722_235313.jpg

^^ Thanks much for photos showing different size vises on the table, helps a lot. :eagerness:

Anyone who has a 833TV have a manual for it? The PM website has the 833T manual linked for both 833's. Much is shared between these two mills, but the head, drive system, and controls for the motor are different.

I emailed PM and got a reply a couple of hours later. Apparently they are working on a separate manual for the TV now and expect it to be ready in a few weeks, in case anyone's interested.

Btw, a good trick on smaller mills is to saw off/mill the back.coolant channel and fill in with epoxy. That got rid of near an inch of wasted space on my 4" vise!
Note the Kurt's dont have the channel sticking out in the first place ;-)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I posted a thread almost 3 months ago asking about buying a PM mill, at the time wasn't sure about a bench mill or a small knee mill. I finally made a decision and ordered an 833TV. Thought I'd start this thread to chronicle my experiences with PM and with their milling machine, and to no doubt ask stupid questions LOL. Thanks so much to everyone who has responded to my private messages asking questions about their machines, and thanks to all who posted in my (now old) thread.

I ordered the better R8 collet set, 0-1/2 keyless drill chuck, clamping set, and the base with the mill, to get me started.

I decided not to order a vise, and didn't order the DRO or power feeds, yet. First up, I wanted to get what I presume will be a better vise than I could get through PM (Homge), with not breaking the bank any worse in mind. I've been looking at the Glacern GSV-440 (4") or GSV-550 (5") standard vises. Does anyone have experience with these, would you recommend them?
Congratulations on the mill. The 833T & 833TV look like an awesome mills. I started with a RF45 clone. Moved up to a Millrite. And while I really like the Millrite, I also thought the RF45 was a very capable mill. My table was actually a little bigger on the RF45. Only reason I noticed your post is I was looking at the 833T.
It looks like a very, very nice machine. I’m trying to envision a shop rearrangement of my machines here now to see if I can move my RF45 here. Don’t “need” it, but would like it here. Seems like I’m always working on one machine or the other. Always handy having backups.
On a side note. I found a used Kurt 4” on EBay. It’s like night and day compared to the Asian vises. I have 2 of those Chinese vises I purchase from Shars and there is no comparison in my opinion. The Kurt is SOooooo much more ridgid. Heard good things about the Glacern. But can’t comment because I never used one. That’s said, I’m totally sold on the Kurt vises now. Just great vises.

Last edited:
Congratulations. That looks like a high quality mill. 5 year warranty!

Congratulations on the mill. The 833T & 833TV look like an awesome mills. I started with a RF45 clone. Moved up to a Millrite. And while I really like the Millrite, I also thought the RF45 was a very capable mill. My table was actually a little bigger on the RF45. Only reason I noticed your post is I was looking at the 833T.
It looks like a very, very nice machine. I’m trying to envision a shop rearrangement of my machines here now to see if I can move my RF45 here. Don’t “need” it, but would like it here. Seems like I’m always working on one machine or the other. Always handy having backups.
On a side note. I found a used Kurt 4” on EBay. It’s like night and day compared to the Asian vises. I have 2 of those Chinese vises I purchase from Shars and there is no comparison in my opinion. The Kurt is SOooooo much mo ridgid. Heard good things about the Glacern. But can’t comment because I never used one. That’s said, I’m totally sold on the Kurt vises now. Just great vises.

As luck would have it, when I bought my 935 there was a gentleman here who was selling a near pristine 5" Kurt. Love this vise. :D

Awesome!
Looking forward to pics :)

Driver was so nice to back his big truck down the driveway and unload right into the shop, man what a load off my shoulders. I was sweating for weeks planning how to get it from the street at the end of the driveway, down a ~100 ft. gravel driveway, and into the shop.

Back