Wells-Index 847 Milling Machine - Ownership Thread

wachuko

Professor of Pending Projects
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
When I got my first milling machine 5 years ago, a Grizzly G0704, it was out the need to mill a brake caliper so I could mount a different wheel on my motorcycle... Well, not really out of the need to modify the caliper... I could have taken the caliper to a machine shop and had it modified for a heck of a lot less than what I spent on the milling machine.

The truth is that I always wanted a milling machine and a lathe... some background history, my father grew up in Lorain, Ohio. After getting out of the Marines he went to work in a machine shop... after a few years he moved to Puerto Rico and then went on to start his own business making ornamental blocks. He made all his molds. These are concrete ornamental blocks that were made using molds but everything to make the block was done by hand. He used his skills as a machinist to make the molds, and any machine he needed for that process. Later on he added a hardware store and construction materials to the business... He met my mom when I was 1-2 years old... married and they had 7 children... so I am the eldest of 8.

Even if I was not his biological son, he raised me just like it and I was actually the one that was closest to him..funny how that is. In trips we made to Ohio to visit family we would stop by the machine shop where he used to work, just to shoot the breeze with the owner... Seeing all those machines always picked my interest, but at the time, not enough to learn anything... My dad never stopped creating/inventing stuff... That was part of the reason I became an engineer... that and the fact that I can't see blood, or I would have tried going to medical school... :)

Fast forward... both my parents are gone... I get to meet my biological father, guess what? He was a machinist... retired from it.

I always liked taking things apart and, sometimes, even putting them back together...

Working in my cars, and motorcycles... and having friends asking favors to help them build something... got me hooked on this hobby. I thought that the G0704 would be enough for what I was planning to do when I retire in 4-5 years... Boy was I wrong...

I am now the owner of a 1989 Wells-Index 847 standard head milling machine with a 10"x48" table!

And I should be picking up a 14"x40" used Grizzly lathe later this week. Thank you to all that contributed to this thread - Feedback on selecting a milling machine - where I needed help deciding on which machine to go for...

When my friends ask me if I have gone nuts and why do I need such huge machines, I just text them back with this:

PinkyandBrain.jpeg

I have no plan to make this produce any kind of revenue... There is no reason/justification for this madness, this is just my way to relax and plan how I will spend my time during retirement... We recently go a smaller house that we plan to move there in 4-5 years... Three-car garage and the single bay will have these machines... Hopefully I can build a small workshop/detached-garage in the back and move the car projects and motorcycles there... so my wife can finally, for the first time since we got married, have a place to park her car inside the garage...

To tell you that I feel like a child in Christmas, is an understatement... very excited and daydreaming of learning and using these machines.

Sorry for the rambling... had to share... pretty excited as you can all tell by now...

Found the milling machine searching Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist. Bought it from a machine shop that had just moved to a larger facility and was also in the process of switching out some of the manual machines for CNC. They needed the space and $$ for that.

Photos when I went to look at it:

img_3729-jpg.389176

img_3724-jpeg.389131

img_3718-jpeg.389134

img_3723-jpeg.389135

img_3720-jpeg.389136

Table has seen its share of mishaps... but nothing that I can see interfering with normal use...

img_3725-jpeg.389137

Video of one of the guys at shop, showing me the machine running.

Will continue in a little bit... will be right back.

Last edited:
I just got the serial number search results...

Serial Number Card.jpg

Wells-Index 847 Vertical Milling Machine with Power Cross Feeds

Equipped With:

Standard Head, Power Cross Feeds, Bijur One-Shot Lube, Knee Handle, 3HP Motor
Electrics:
208-230/460 Volt 3-Phase
Manufacturer: Wells-Index Model: 847 Serial Number: 22662
Main Unit Approx Weight: 3020 lbs
Main Unit Dimensions (in inches): Length: 60.00" Width: 63.00" Height: 81.00"
Specs:
Table Size:
10" x 48"
Travels (X/Y/Knee/Quill): 28"/17"/16"/5.25"
Spindle Speeds: 50-4200 RPM
Spindle Taper: R8
Motor HP: 3

These are the things I have found needing so far:

Pending
  • Cleaning... lots of cleaning needed. In progress.
  • Shaft on Z axis seems to be bent. Need to order a replacement
  • Lowering quill takes more effort than normal. Need to take apart that area to inspect what is causing the issue.
  • Pending install of Z-axis stops
  • Order and install an updated DRO setup. Mine has no functions. Wonder if I can reuse the scales and avoid having to install new ones...
Done
  • First priority is to decide on what VFD to buy. I was made aware that a static converter is less expensive, but reading on those, they could heat up the motor, power comes down... I do not mind spending a little bit more on a VFD if that works better than a static unit... Just need to figure out which one. If I do decide to try the static converter, @matthewsx mentioned having good experience with those from North America Phase Converters - DONE!
  • Add a remote control box for VFD - DONE!
  • Clean DRO display box. Apply labels for X and Y. Relocate bracket/arm. - DONE!
  • Repair oil lines - Oil system completely overhauled - DONE!
  • Power draw bar. Being tall must have been a requirement for working in a machine shop. I need something to avoid having to use a ladder to get to the drawbar!! I have seen different setups. Some cool designs using a butterfly air impact wrench. I am exaggerating of course... have not even tried to reach the drawbar... - DONE!
  • Replace all metal emblems/badges... You can see the one for the model and serial number... all gone... - Was only able to get a new serial plate. The rest of the badges will remain as is. - DONE!
  • There is one knob for the Y axis lock that is not original... I think... need to check photos of other machines - New knobs and handwheel ordered, received, and installed - DONE!
  • Z-axis servo motor... Lazy? Yeah... If I can find a motor to drive the knee, without breaking the bank, that would be great. - DONE!
  • Replace bearing in pulley assembly - DONE!
  • Replace locking nut, R8 guide pin in quill - - DONE!
  • Cover for rear of column - DONE!
  • Get R8 collect set - DONE!
  • Get keyless drill chuck - got a PM unit - DONE!

Last edited:
Hopefully I can build a small workshop/detached-garage in the back and move the car projects and motorcycles there... so my wife can finally, for the first time since we got married, have a place to park her car inside the garage...
????????????????????????????? Say it isn't so ! :eek: :cautious:

Good news on the machines , enjoy them . :)

????????????????????????????? Say it isn't so ! :eek: :cautious:
Yeah, I know... she does not have high hopes on being able to do so in this garage either :grin big::grin big:... but I promised she would be able to do so once the shop is built... That is the plan at least...

I like how quickly you changed your purchase plans and got the mill home! I'm sure the lathe move will go just as smoothly.

When I got my first milling machine 5 years ago, a Grizzly G0704, it was out the need to mill a brake caliper so I could mount a different wheel on my motorcycle... Well, not really out of the need to modify the caliper... I could have taken the caliper to a machine shop and had it modified for a heck of a lot less than what I spent on the milling machine.

The truth is that I always wanted a milling machine and a lathe... some background history, my father grew up in Lorain, Ohio. After getting out of the Marines he went to work in a machine shop... after a few years he moved to Puerto Rico and then went on to start his own business making ornamental blocks. He made all his molds. These are concrete ornamental blocks that were made using molds but everything to make the block was done by hand. He used his skills as a machinist to make the molds, and any machine he needed for that process. Later on he added a hardware store and construction materials to the business... He met my mom when I was 1-2 years old... married and they had 7 children... so I am the eldest of 8.

Even if I was not his biological son, he raised me just like it and I was actually the one that was closest to him..funny how that is. In trips we made to Ohio to visit family we would stop by the machine shop where he used to work, just to shoot the breeze with the owner... Seeing all those machines always picked my interest, but at the time, not enough to learn anything... My dad never stopped creating/inventing stuff... That was part of the reason I became an engineer... that and the fact that I can't see blood, or I would have tried going to medical school... :)

Fast forward... both my parents are gone... I get to meet my biological father, guess what? He was a machinist... retired from it.

I always liked taking things apart and, sometimes, even putting them back together...

Working in my cars, and motorcycles... and having friends asking favors to help them build something... got me hooked on this hobby. I thought that the G0704 would be enough for what I was planning to do when I retire in 4-5 years... Boy was I wrong...

I am now the owner of a Wells-Index 847 milling machine! And I should be picking up a 14"x40" used Grizzly lathe later this week. Thank you to all that contributed to this thread - Feedback on selecting a milling machine - where I needed help deciding on which machine to go for...

When my friends ask me if I have gone nuts and why do I need such huge machines, I just text them back with this:

View attachment 389397

I have no plan to make this produce any kind of revenue... There is no reason/justification for this madness, this is just my way to relax and plan how I will spend my time during retirement... We recently go a smaller house that we plan to move there in 4-5 years... Three-car garage and the single bay will have these machines... Hopefully I can build a small workshop/detached-garage in the back and move the car projects and motorcycles there... so my wife can finally, for the first time since we got married, have a place to park her car inside the garage...

To tell you that I feel like a child in Christmas, is an understatement... very excited and daydreaming of learning and using these machines.

Sorry for the rambling... had to share... pretty excited as you can all tell by now...

Found the milling machine searching Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist. Bought it from a machine shop that had just moved to a larger facility and was also in the process of switching out some of the manual machines for CNC. They needed the space and $$ for that.

Photos when I went to look at it:

img_3729-jpg.389176

img_3724-jpeg.389131

img_3718-jpeg.389134

img_3723-jpeg.389135

img_3720-jpeg.389136

Table has seen its share of mishaps... but nothing that I can see interfering with normal use...

img_3725-jpeg.389137

Video of one of the guys the shop owner has, showing me the machine running.

Will continue in a little bit... will be right back.
Congratulations Jaime!! So cool!!! :clapping: :encourage: :beer: P.S. I want one too:cool:

Trust me, as you go farther down the slippery slope, even these machines won't seem large anymore. i'm an accountant with about 50 old machines, metal and wood and every time I get the machines all running the way I want, I get the bug. Tracking a CVA Toolroom lathe as we speak as the Smart Brown is finished with what I can do. Enjoy the journey. Dave

Thank you for the great comments.

A few more photos...

IMG_3735.jpeg
IMG_3736.jpeg

I bought new straps... was not taking any chances. I did not turn the head for the trip since I had left all my tools in the house in Orlando... Had to make a run to Lowes to get a 15/16" wrench after I got home..

IMG_3737.jpeg

Once home... it was 26 miles to get home... took it slow and kept looking back to make sure it was still standing...

IMG_3738.jpeg

The drop deck trailer is the best thing that was suggested (after the suggestion of getting a pallet jack)... made everything sooooo easy.

IMG_3739.jpeg

Inside the house.

IMG_3741.jpeg
IMG_3747.jpeg

One of the oil lines needs replacing. I will replace them all as those all have to be brittle after all these years of use...

IMG_3744.jpeg

Lots of cleaning needed.

IMG_3745.jpeg

Model and serial number badge... all gone...

IMG_3742.jpeg

Last edited:
Back