Wells-Index 847 Milling Machine - Ownership Thread

These are the things I have found needing so far:

• First priority is to decide on what VFD to buy. I was made aware that a static converter is less expensive, but reading on those, they could heat up the motor, power comes down... I do not mind spending a little bit more on a VFD if that works better than a static unit... Just need to figure out which one. If I do decide to try the static converter, @matthewsx mentioned having good experience with those from North America Phase Converters
  • Repair oil lines
  • Clean and check everything
  • Power draw bar. Being tall must have been a requirement for working in a machine shop :D. I need something to avoid having to use a ladder to get to the drawbar!! I have seen different setups. Some cool designs using a butterfly air impact wrench. I am exaggerating of course... have not even tried to reach the drawbar...
  • Replace all metal emblems/badges... You can see the one for the model and serial number... all gone...
  • There is one knob for the Y axis lock that is not original... I think... need to check photos of other machines
  • Z-axis servo motor... Lazy? Yeah... If I can find a motor to drive the knee, without breaking the bank, that would be great.
  • Downloaded Owners Manual

Last edited:
Good stuff ! My Wells actually was delivered near Sandusky, Ohio not far from where your step-dad worked if he was in Lorain, when new in 1951
Watch that garage promise...I'm at 45 years same woman, too many cars, trucks, tractors, machines and stuff in shops, garages, barns etc. and the car she drives still outside !
I do go out and clean it off, warm it up and turn on the butt warmer anytime she feels the need to go somewhere and maybe I might live long enough to get her an attached garage, been clearing the site for it since retired but with the way lumber etc. has gone up...
Jim

I like my Maxi Torque drawbar. You can buy them direct and the guy is helpful, as are the H and W people I bought from. Price is pretty much the same. Kurt are no longer made in US but I believe the Maxi torque still are if that matters to you. I also run a small silent compressor just to blow chips and power the drawbar so the big Quincy doesn't need to drain amps for the little amount of air needed. Dave

I like my Maxi Torque drawbar. You can buy them direct and the guy is helpful, as are the H and W people I bought from. Price is pretty much the same. Kurt are no longer made in US but I believe the Maxi torque still are if that matters to you. I also run a small silent compressor just to blow chips and power the drawbar so the big Quincy doesn't need to drain amps for the little amount of air needed. Dave
It matters... I dropped them a message to validate what model I should be getting.

Mind sharing what quiet air compressor you are using?

I watch for used Jun Air oil lubed dental compressors. I understand California Air makes some decent and fairly quiet compressors but if I find a Jun Air under $600 I prefer those. New they are closer to 2K. Getting harder to find and I shouldn't make it worse but they are very well made. There are two types and the oil filled ones with the Euro pump are the ones I like. The wobble type pump is oilesss and I use that type for a vacuum pump but it is much louder as most oiless are. Dave

I watch for used Jun Air oil lubed dental compressors. I understand California Air makes some decent and fairly quiet compressors but if I find a Jun Air under $600 I prefer those. New they are closer to 2K. Getting harder to find and I shouldn't make it worse but they are very well made. There are two types and the oil filled ones with the Euro pump are the ones I like. The wobble type pump is oilesss and I use that type for a vacuum pump but it is much louder as most oiless are. Dave
I was looking at a California Air unit... but not for this year or the next... I am over any made up budget that I can come up with for this year or next year:oops:... Did not know about Jun Air will look at those as well (Edit: Did a quick search... those Jun Air are even more expensive than the California Air units, yikes! )

I like the idea of using a smaller one just for the mill and lathe... to blow out chips and power the drawbar... I will copy that approach.

Let me see what I find used locally. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Just don't get an oil less, they are sooo noisy!! I got a craftsman of Craigslist with a 220 volt motor and a oil filled twin pump and love how quite and simple it is...$125 too :encourage:

Just don't get an oil less, they are sooo noisy!! I got a craftsman of Craigslist with a 220 volt motor and a oil filled twin pump and love how quite and simple it is...$125 too :encourage:
I obviously missed that detail... I thought all super quiet (69 db or less) units were oil less. At least the few I have seen new.

Let me search on that...

Back