Wells-Index 847 Milling Machine - Ownership Thread

Looking to power up my machine. I have 240 Volt single phase at home. And need to run the 3HP 3-Phase motor in the milling machine.

So I should be able to use this VFD to power my machine?

Teco Variable Frequency Drive L510.jpg

Yes if you do not need to use an external braking resistor for quicker stopping, the L510 does not support that. You need to directly wire the motor to the VFD motor connections, no switches or contactors.

Yes if you do not need to use an external braking resistor for quicker stopping, the L510 does not support that. You need to directly wire the motor to the VFD motor connections, no switches or contactors.

I looked at that one since it seems to be one used by a lot of folks. Do you know of another brand/model that would be a better alternative? Let me look for other brands to see if I find one with that option.

Reading on that as well to learn…

So it needs to be directly wired to the motor. I lose the cool pull down/up switch. Good to know.

The Teco L510 is a decent VFD, easy to install. It has some degree of braking, but it is limited to the size of the internal braking resistor. Most VFD's with the internal braking circuitry limit the rate of braking based on the maximum buss voltage permitted, so even if you ask for 1 second braking you may only get 3 second braking in practice. On a mill it is generally less of an issue, except if you need fast stopping for say power tapping, but otherwise I usually use a 3 second acceleration/deceleration time. This should be achievable with the L510. Many people also use the WWJ200-022SF but it is out of stock at most distributors. Teco does make an E510 which is a bit more full featured and on can use an external braking resistor. I believe it has a removable front panel, and with an optional extension cable it could be mounted on the head of the lathe (check with Wolf Automation), there is also the Automation Direct GS21 which I would recommend over the L510, but is showing back ordered (you might call to see when they might be back in stock and it the front panel can be relocated).

https://www.wolfautomation.com/ac-drive-3hp-10-5a-ct-vt-230vac-1-3-phase-f2-1/
Remote Keypad cable: https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/shopping/catalog/cables/drives/gs-cbl2-3l

I can provide you with recommended programming parameters, etc. when you get ready to do the install, just PM me.

Last edited:
The Teco L510 is a decent VFD, easy to install. It has some degree of braking, but it is limited to the size of the internal braking resistor. Most VFD's with the internal braking circuitry limit the rate of braking based on the maximum buss voltage permitted, so even if you ask for 1 second braking you may only get 3 second braking in practice. On a mill it is generally less of an issue, except if you need fast stopping for say power tapping, but otherwise I usually use a 3 second acceleration/deceleration time. This should be achievable with the L510. Many people also use the WWJ200-022SF but it is out of stock at most distributors. Teco does make an E510 which is a bit more full featured and on can use an external braking resistor. I believe it has a removable front panel, and with an optional extension cable it could be mounted on the head of the lathe (check with Wolf Automation), there is also the Automation Direct GS21 which I would recommend over the L510, but is showing back ordered (you might call to see when they might be back in stock and it the front panel can be relocated).

https://www.wolfautomation.com/ac-drive-3hp-10-5a-ct-vt-230vac-1-3-phase-f2-1/
Remote Keypad cable: https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/shopping/catalog/cables/drives/gs-cbl2-3l

I can provide you with recommended programming parameters, etc. when you get ready to do the install, just PM me.

Excellent! Thank you. I will give them a call when they are back in January, and find out when they expect those other options to be in stock.

Yeah, I know... she does not have high hopes on being able to do so in this garage either :grin big::grin big:... but I promised she would be able to do so once the shop is built... That is the plan at least...
nice story.

If you build a shop, include a bathroom, and slop sink..
It'll keep the house clean.. When your hands are all greasy you won't have to go to the house to cleanup.
if you have a rush call.... you know, after having bad fish, or whatever.
I wish I had a slop sink down here in the basement. I use cleaner, and wipe with a paper towel, but it's ugly.

Looking to power up my machine. I have 240 Volt single phase at home. And need to run the 3HP 3-Phase motor in the milling machine.

So I should be able to use this VFD to power my machine?

View attachment 390231

The Teco VFDs are popular but when I talked to Wolf for a VFD for my mill they recommended a Lenze or Fuji VFD over the Teco. Something technical about how they work. They say they often suggest the Teco for lathes but mills apparently are fussier and can benefit from spending a little more for a better quality VFD.

I've been happy with the Fuji I bought, but do kind of regret not stepping up and buying the Lenze which apparently is an easier VFD to set up. I do not like electrical work so can use all the help I can get.

Went to https://machinerypartsdepot.com/bijur-lubrication-products/ and got the following to start repairing the Bijur oiling system:

(10) B1061 - Compression Sleeve for 5/32" Metal Tubing - Do not know if I need any for metal tubing, got a few just in case...
(30) B8272 - Compression Sleeve For 5/32" Plastic Tubing - Do not know how many I need... figured 30 should be enough...
(1) S109 - Bijur One Shot Filter Kit For Models L5H, L5P and L19P - Might as well clean the tank and change all the filters
(1) 9452K6 - Bijur Tank O-Ring - since I am opening the tank for cleaning.
(1) B8216 - One Shot Lube Tank Gasket - since I am opening the tank for cleaning.

And from here https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/15-04875.php I ordered 20' of clear 5/32" OD clear oil injection tubing... I wanted clear tubing to better troubleshoot flow... Machinery Parts Depot only had black tubing...

(20) Feet of Natural Clear Oil Injection Tubing 5/32" OD

Last edited:
@mksj - both items should be back in stock by Jan 10

DURApulse GS20 series AC general purpose drive, 230 VAC, 3hp with 1-phase input - GS21-23P0 - $246.00
DURApulse keypad mounting cable, 9.8ft/3m cable length - GS-CBL2-3L - $21.50

Anything else that is needed?

Back