Wells-Index 847 Milling Machine - Ownership Thread

Base plate arrived. In hindsight, I should have gone with a 1/2” plate… but 3/8” it is. 1/4” holes drilled with 3/8" counterbore holes made on one side for the bolts… 1/2” counterbore bore on the other side for the spacers.

Had to machine the bolts so they would sit flush. But I will get new bolts anyway…. Ordering 1/4"-20 x3" bolts with low-profile socket head.

Almost there…

F52C3E24-E3C3-443F-AA50-B816DC73F6C4.jpeg

Those are the 2” spacers… I could do away with using the shorter ones…hummm... Nah, I want to machine the least amount of material from the drawbar...

55BBC93B-A1AD-43EA-AFB0-FDF17E943F89.jpeg

Now to secure the plate in the chuck and drill the center hole… Then to drill and tap the holes for the Maxi...

EP2 grease should be here Tuesday... and the bolts as well. Getting closer!

Last edited:
Yeah, I did not have to make the rings… that was just for fun…

Center hole right now is at 3/4”… I forgot to write down the diameter of the drawbar :confused 3:

I will get that tomorrow…

F84A948B-9055-401D-99B6-6C7277FE8128.jpeg

was your old a 4" or 5"?

4"... it is what I use in the G0704 (smaller milling machine)... that is the one that I bought and did not like at all... figured I would bring it over to the other house to initially use during the testing of the Wells-Index... but got trigger happy and ordered that Kurt... One of their scratch and dent vises...

I don't get that metal cover... it does not slide under anything... I know instructions mention to cut it, but I thought it was because they had a one-size fits all... unless you are working on one setup, how is that cover any help when varying holding parts??? I must be missing something

We drove this morning to Ocala to drop off a few things... taking the time to do a few things on the Wells-Index...

Documenting diameter of drawbar: 7/8"

IMG_4587.jpeg

Replaced these parts for new ones... Old ones were working fine... I just hated seeing that beat up nut...

IMG_4585.jpeg

Also, the pin for the the R8 was not too bad, but worn enough that some collects would turn past a certain point... now replaced and they slide and work as expected...

IMG_4584.jpeg

Also started to install the Servo for the Z-axis... but you know how it is... there is always something...

Removed handle, locking nut, dial, key, and the four hex bolts in there.

IMG_4569.jpeg

Spacer installed

IMG_4568.jpeg

Then cover... had to deburr the larger hole in the cover. To avoid interference with the spacer.

IMG_4570.jpeg

Also had to clean the holes so the 1/4" bolts went through fine... again, just some burrs...

IMG_4567.jpeg

Tape covers removed... Bearing race installed... all bolted down...

IMG_4574.jpeg

Shaft extension installed. I had to do some slight sanding on the extension...

IMG_4576.jpeg

Installed the gear with the proper amount of brass shims for the backslash... All was great up to that point...

IMG_4581.jpeg

It is obvious that they sent me the wrong gear... As I slide the rest of the components, here is where things are not how they are supposed to be...

IMG_4577.jpeg
IMG_4580.jpeg

Dial should be all the way in and spaced with some brass and nylon large washers... You can see the old Servo on the Y-axis, in the back... Dial flush against cover...

IMG_4578.jpeg

So I will be calling them on Tuesday to have them send me the correct gear... man, everything was going so well...

I did test it... table goes up and down without issues. Pretty cool... and sooooo much better than having to use the handle...

I know that the mismatch of colors is going to drive me crazy... so either I paint this one gray, or I remove the others and paint those black... but they have to match... Leave me alone, okay!?... I am not taking meds for this condition :D:grin big::grin big:

Last edited:
Back