Wells-Index 847 Milling Machine - Ownership Thread

Yeah baby! Yeah!

Do not mind the mess... Before watching the video and trying to tippy-tap-tap it out, I was trying everything... so I used WD-40, way-oil, some heat… Made a mess inside...

None of that matters now, it is out!!

IMG_4447.jpeg

IMG_4448.jpeg
IMG_4449.jpeg

The brake band needs a good degreasing, yikes

IMG_4450.jpeg

IMG_4452.jpeg

Now to clean all this mess and get it all looking like new again.

Last edited:
Everything is clean...

Brake shoe/band

IMG_4463.jpeg
IMG_4462.jpeg

I know nobody will see this... but I just had to make it look better. I went over the counterbores, then chamfered the holes... deburred everything... Did a slight face sanding to get rid of high spots... The rest will be filled with JB-Weld and painted...

IMG_4461.jpeg
IMG_4460.jpeg

Top cover looking great. I went over the flat edge with a stone to make sure there were no high spots...

IMG_4458.jpeg
IMG_4457.jpeg

Brake installed... I used a little bit of copper paste on the shaft...

IMG_4469.jpeg
IMG_4466.jpeg

Last edited:
More...

IMG_4453.jpeg

Again... all those dings get filled with JB-Weld then sanded and everything gets a coat of gray paint...

I also chased the threads (1/4"-20 tap)... all that gets covered with tape so the internals stays clean...

IMG_4456.jpeg

Surface where the brake band touches is now super clean...

IMG_4455.jpeg

All bearings cleaned... strange, when I looked at the bearings part numbers, top and bottom had different numbers in the parts diagram... Inspecting these, both are the same... MRC 109 KSF bearings...

IMG_4471.jpeg
IMG_4454.jpeg
IMG_4477.jpeg

IMG_4478.jpeg
IMG_4479.jpegIMG_4480.jpeg
IMG_4481.jpeg
IMG_4482.jpeg

Last edited:
Now to let the JB-Weld dry/harden...

IMG_4470.jpeg

Let me search for those bearings...

Well, I had to order the Mobil EP2 grease again... first order I placed never arrived...

Also ordered two MRC 109 KSF bearings... MRC SKF USA 109KSF 45mm X 75mm X 16mm 6009-Z Metal Shielded One Side bearing

And sanded and painted the center steel plate, and nut...
IMG_4501.jpeg

IMG_4500.jpeg
IMG_4499.jpeg

Taped the large cover... to avoid any paint getting to areas that should be left bare...

IMG_4498.jpeg

Also sanded and sprayed a coat of primer on the larger cover... Tomorrow I need to stop by the local hardware store to get some matching gray spray paint... But already that cover looks 10 times better than before...

IMG_4502.jpeg

Last edited:
Much better... I might go over the dings that are are left...looks like I missed a few on the first round, but I might just leave it as it is...not sure.

IMG_4507.jpeg

Working on the mount for the Maxi Torque-Rite...

Do you all think this will work fine?

IMG_4508.jpeg

IMG_4509.jpeg

IMG_4510.jpeg

Missing from the photos is a 3/8"x6" base plate that will go between the Maxi and the milling machine. That plate gets bolted down using the four 1/4" bolts to the pulley head cover using those steel spacers.

The Maxi is then bolted to that 6" plate...

I am trying to avoid modifying the Wells-Index pulley cover...

That looks great - even more rigid than my setup. You will need to carefully center it on the drawbar - if it's not precisely centered, the spline drive might not consistently engage on the splined drawbar cap, causing it to push down the quill instead of seating properly. I drilled the mounting holes about 1mm oversized to give some adjustment ability. I would suggest you put in the drawbar, tighten it up on a collet, then check the runout of the drawbar splined head. In my case, I needed to make a bushing to keep the top of the drawbar consistently centered.

I'm enjoying seeing the quality of work you're putting into the refurbishment of your mill.

Back