Wells-Index 847 Milling Machine - Ownership Thread

Well, I want to get a modern DRO for this machine... The one I have now has no extra functions. I want to be able to have all the cool features I see some of you using... like the one to determine where to drill 6 equally distanced holes or be able to set points, 1/2 measurements, etc.

I was reading Bruce's thread... and since I will be ordering a 2-axis for the lathe, might as well order their 3-axis mill DRO setup. I need to measure the scales that I have on X and Y axis... and since I do not have one on the Z-axis, need to figure out how long that one needs to be.

I will need to call them and confirm if the TP1014 would fit my machine. The one for the lathe is back in stock towards the end of August, but this one looks to be available now.

Have you looked at Yuri's Touch Dro, a lot more advanced than most others today. Also the graphics make me want one.
That's a pretty basic DRO for a lot of money.

Have you looked at Yuri's Touch Dro, a lot more advanced than most others today. Also the graphics make me want one.
Let me take a look again. I made one for when I initially wanted a DRO on the G0704 (instead I am converting to CNC), but it sat for years. Ended up using it in the Logan…. This was when I had to solder every component…. I still need to upgrade the software on that one.

IMG_7768.jpeg
IMG_2271.jpeg
Let me see if he has turnkey units. I am trying to avoid adding another project. But would be nice if I could at least use the linear scales already on the machine…that would be less work…

Last edited:
I went ahead and ordered the DRO Adapter for Glass and Magnetic Scales V2. Also confirmed with Yuriy that I will not be able to use the scales on the mill... I will need to get a set of new scales to go with it. Also ordered one of the recommended tablets. Price wise, is a little more expensive than going with the one from TPACTools... but have to agree, I like the additional features on Yuri's solution.

It is also less expensive than buying the Mitutoyo KA-200 3-axis counter display and an additional AT103 17" linear scale...if I wanted to use the scales already on the mill...

I don't think you will be disappointed.
I think seeing the graphics of what things look like (bolt circle, line ) is quite nice.
I also think seeing your saved points is nice, I have to do up and down on my JingCe...

Just placing here for future reference

I need to do the same. But first I need to remove the quill to see what is making it not come down smoothly… still have not taken the time to troubleshoot that…

Congratulations on your purchase. Index are great machines, and factory support is still available.

Came across this thread and it reminded me that I need to either adjust the backslash or replace nut and crossfeed screw...

I also need to remove the quill and check why it would not go down smoothly. Hopefully it was my mistake of using grease in it instead of oil (which is what it calls for)...

Time to open the owner's manual... I do not see anything here that can be adjusted.

WI-Table1.jpeg
Can I measure the threads to see if there is wear? Would that approach work?

Let me read the manual first...

Back