Wells-Index 847 Milling Machine - Ownership Thread

Not much you can do to get the slack out other than replacing both screw and nut. I have a lot of wear in mind I just have to remember to which direction the slack is.

That was great/quick response:

"Hi Jaime,

      There is nothing for Backlash adjustment on any lead screw or nut.

      Part # 111-436-017 Saddle Lead Screw Nut is $340.00 Each plus shipping
      Part # 111-346-201 is the 10" saddle screw, $691.60 Each plus shipping
      Part # 111-347-201 is the 12" saddle screw, $691.60 Each plus shipping
      Part # 000-300-216 is the 14" saddle screw, $691.60 Each plus shipping

      You will need to verify the stroke of the saddle to determine which one you need

Shipping and insurance to your house will be about $80.00 for a lead screw and a nut.

Best regards.

Mark Nielsen

Plant Manager"

I need to figure out how to verify the stroke of the saddle... no clue what that mean... I asked for clarification on that.

Great folks!

"Hi Jaime,

      There is only one nut per lead screw.

      To determine stroke, move the table as close to the column as possible and take a measurement with a tape measure from the column to the backside of the table. We will call this measurement #1.
      Now move the table as far away from the column as possible, and take a measurement with a tape measure from the same point on the column to the backside of the table. We will call this measurement #2.
      Subtract measurement #1 from measurement #2, it will be 10", 12" or 14". This is how you determine the stroke.

      Don't ever not ask what you are not sure about. This is how you learn, and that is why we are here.

Mark Nielsen"

Jamie, that appears to be a table screw and nut, not a saddle. I don't think you have the correct screw info.

edit: also from the view you showed, that lead screw looks great, not bad.
how much backlash do you have? I would just deal with it. Unless you are looking for perfection.

Jamie, that appears to be a table screw and nut, not a saddle. I don't think you have the correct screw info.

edit: also from the view you showed, that lead screw looks great, not bad.
how much backlash do you have? I would just deal with it. Unless you are looking for perfection.
Yes. I emailed them back with photos and clarifying that this was on the X-axis (table) and not on Y-axis (saddle).

Good exercise anyway as I had not measure the stroke on the saddle. Came out to 12". Reduced to 10-3/4" when the vise is in place.

Installing a DRO would be helpful working with backlash .

+1. I think I added a cheap China DRO for just over one lead screw cost. And it offers so much more functionality to the mill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I currently have DRO on X and Y. I did buy a complete set of scales and Yuriy's Touch DRO to replace what I have and have DRO in all axis.

But that does not fix stupid... because I was not aware of the backslash, never tested it for it, I damaged a part I was making when I did the aggressive cutting in the wrong direction... cutter grabbed the part and, well... you all know what happens when you do that. I sure do now!

Not looking for perfection... this is all hobby for me. I just want to minimize my stupid actions having worse consequences because of the wear on some parts of the machine...

An easier fix, I guess, is to move the vise to one of the ends of the table where there is little to no wear. Or/and learn how to avoid cutters pulling the part by not making aggressive cuts.

Yes. I emailed them back with photos and clarifying that this was on the X-axis (table) and not on Y-axis (saddle).

Good exercise anyway as I had not measure the stroke on the saddle. Came out to 12". Reduced to 10-3/4" when the vise is in place.

I currently have DRO on X and Y. I did buy a complete set of scales and Yuriy's Touch DRO to replace what I have and have DRO in all axis.

But that does not fix stupid... because I was not aware of the backslash, never tested it for it, I damaged a part I was making when I did the aggressive cutting in the wrong direction... cutter grabbed the part and, well... you all know what happens when you do that. I sure do now!

Not looking for perfection... this is all hobby for me. I just want to minimize my stupid actions having worse consequences because of the wear on some parts of the machine...

An easier fix, I guess, is to move the vise to one of the ends of the table where there is little to no wear. Or/and learn how to avoid cutters pulling the part by not making aggressive cuts.
Perhaps not climb mill as much? Or did I misunderstand what happened?

Back