What am I inhaling at the lathe?

tmenyc

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've noticed that after a session at my Logan I'm often hoarse for some hours. The realization of this didn't hit me for too long because I often am only turning delrin or ebonite rather than brass or steel. But, this past weekend I wore my 3M mask, normally used for grinding, for a longish session with 12L14, and was not hoarse afterwards.
I could not find anything in these pages, or anywhere else, relating to this. Is the cause (I hope) the smoke from the oil burning off? I usually use 10W40 for a turning lubricant, and as little as possible, a quick dab with a brush. Or is it (hoping not...) the lead or other components of the 12L14?

My lathe is in a 10x11 apartment bedroom that is my shop, but I usually run the AC or fan to bring in air when working in there. It's not an exhaust fan, however. I do recognize that the setting is probably inappropriate for some of the work I do in there in my fountain pen restoration work, but it's the best I can do. Luckily, my kids are long gone (the shop was their bedroom), and my wife is a painter/printmaker, so accustomed to the use of solvents and chemicals.

Curious to learn ... thanks!
Tim

This is a good topic. I have had a big negative reaction to the smoke from TapMagic, so I don't use that any more. I switched to Anchor Lube and installed a fan on the carriage. I've had no recurrences since.

You write "only turning delrin or ebonite rather than brass or steel" as if those materials are safer than metals. I think the opposite is true. Metals rarely produce vapors when cut dry, but plastics certainly do. And those vapors might not be good for you.

There are others here way more savvy on the chemical make ups than I but I’d be looking at the ebonite and/or your choice of cutting oil as likely contributors. The cutting fluid will be cheapest thing to switch out and see if it makes a difference. I used to use Tapmatic Gold on the lathe and it worked but smoked like crazy so I switched to Masters. Still some smoke but not as bad, and I’m sure there are others that make even less. But as we know, just because we can’t see something doesn’t mean we’re breathing clean air.

And as Mark suggests, maybe a sensitivity has developed over time. We get old and our bodies not so tolerant of what we used to throw at them them we were younger.

-frank

I bought what is called a SMOKE EATER. They used to be common in bars and public places when smokers were still non-enemies. They are designed to pull micro particles out of a large room, pretty much the same thing use for clean rooms. You can find used ones popping up at auctions for closed bars, restaurants, wood shops, and places doing clean work or look in woodworker supply catalogs (SHOP-FOX and Grizzley had sold them) Size about 3ft x 1ft x 2ft.
Or if you have ducted heat/cool then many mfrs make a return hepa/particulate filter. I bought a brand new Lenox unit for about 120 but have not used it as I went mini-split in the shop.

usually use 10W40 for a turning lubricant, and as little as possible, a quick dab with a brush.
Motor oil is not cutting lubricant. It's full of all kinds of weird additives and detergents and designed to burn, not to be vaporised and inhaled. This is why crank cases are not vented to atmosphere and the fumes from which are consumed by the engine intake to be burned. You're more likely suffering from that than anything else.

Well, this is interesting...many thanks for the good responses so far. I'll narrow it down a little:
1) I don't react when cutting delrin or ebonite. Good thing, too, since fabricating parts in ebonite is why I got the lathe to begin with. teh delrin is mostly prototyping; the steel and brass mostly making specialty tools.
2) No ducted air: it's a 1938 apartment building, radiator heat from NYC steam, cool from window AC or open window over courtyard.
3) I never knew any of that about motor oil! I use it to lube the lathe (but not the ways, don't worry...) and for cutting. Happy to change.
I think I may have oil that does not have detergent, can check.
4) Mike, I wish I could hold my breath that long...

thanks, this is really helpful.
Tim

When you say 3M mask I'm guessing you mean a cartridge type respirator. When was the last time you changed the cartridges and do you have the correct cartridges installed? Having cartridges for organic vapors, cleaning, painting fumes won't give you the level of protection you need if you being more exposed to fine airborne particulates.

Back