What am I inhaling at the lathe?

I always appreciate it when the OP posts an update with results... Anchor Lube, which I previously used only to lube a live center in a center hole, works great in turning 12L14 and the smoke issue has gone away with only that change. And, of course, the smoke did turn out to be was the source of my hoarseness, so the issue that got me to write this topic is also gone.
Thanks for all the help on this one!

(PS, I did decide to not use bacon grease or other cooking byproducts. My wife and I, in a NYC apartment, generally try to not have food outside of the kitchen and dining area, so the notion of moving the lathe into the kitchen provided a good laugh but not much else...)

Tim
A live center does not need lubrication. A dead center does, but I don't recommend a cutting oil. Molly Grease, way oil, lithium grease, super grease (a synthetic), high pressure lube.. Not cutting oil.

Anchor is great on many hard to cut metals. I find it especially useful for 304 SS. wish I had tried it b4 I work hardened a project. Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks, didn't know that...I guess I've always thought that metal spinning on metal needed it. Good to know! I'll use a bit of way oil from now on.

Tim

Thanks, didn't know that...I guess I've always thought that metal spinning on metal needed it. Good to know! I'll use a bit of way oil from now on.

Tim

It sounds like there may be some confusion going on here.

Just trying to clarify. AFAIK, once upon a time, any center in the spindle was called a "live center" (because the spindle turns under power) and any center in tailstock was called "dead center" because that spindle quill doesn't turn. Those terms/definitions are long obsolete.

For at least 60 years we call any center that has a self contained bearing(s) a "live center" and those are commonly used in a non-rotating spindle (tailstock). A solid center is called a "dead center" and can be used in either a rotating or non-rotating spindle.

Certainly, the contact between a rotating workpiece and a non-rotating center must be lubricated using a High Pressure (Rated for 50,000 PSI or better) rated lubricant. There are many. I don't know anything about Anchor Lube, so no comment. I don't think Way Oil is the proper lubricant for a dead center.

Last edited:

Tim
Tim , way oil is useable but not the best. I said it because sometimes you want to get work done. way oil will stay longer than thin oils, but if you do a long turning, you will burn up the way oil. So check it and re-apply if you do a long session.
Actually with any dead center, you need to check to make sure it's still lubed after a while. The frequency is what changes based on your lube.

I used a half dead center and either I didn't lube it enough, or I put a center too deep, and the half cut into the project and the tip of the half dead center. I never knew what the answer was. I just know that I am more careful now. I use more lube and don't drill that deep.

Thanks for the tip!
Tim

Lots of good suggestions.

Yes, breathing unknown vapors is not good. Cancer, allergies, etc. Yet, we really do not know what we are breathing when the lubricant/coolant breaks down from the heat. Organic materials become OTHER organics! We seem to have a tolerance to small amounts of many chemicals, but with repeated use we develop all kinds of reactions to some of them. Because of this I can no longer use Neosporin. I just used it a bit too long trying to keep a wound from getting infected.

I used to work for a chemical company so have worried about this before I started machining. Some of my thoughts about lubricants/coolant processes:

I like to think of lubricant and coolant as two different processes. A lubricant tends to reduce friction and so the heat at the tool tip is decreased. But it probably is of little value if one is cutting rather than rubbing. (rubbing = tool contact without cutting). Cutting will generate heat representing the removal of material. (The atomic level cutting process is not very well understood be we know it is breaking atomic bonds and in our case is also bending the work materials-----which is at least part of the generation of the heat energy.) A rubbing example is a drill bit with two flutes but only one spiral/pig tail cut is coming off. The other flute edge is just rubbing/friction and the heat is making it even more dull. (It is very hard to sharpen a drill bit so that both cutting edges are matched! If you get two pigtails during drilling you have a decent drill bit AND the plunge rate is set up properly to cause both edges to cut! ) A coolant does not have to lower the friction, but may. However, it carries away the heat to keep the tool from over heating. As metal tools heat up such that the cutting edge temperature gets higher, relative to their melting point, the tool metal gets softer and so they dull more quickly. (Carbide tools have very high melting points and so do not dull as rapidly.) So when we generate smoke we know that the lubricant/coolant is either evaporating, breaking down into other organic vapors, or both and boiling to create both other gases or gases with droplets. It may also be carrying the work material with it.

Coolants can function by lowering the work/tool temperature as the coolant gets hotter. The physics of this is the energy needed to raise the temperature of the coolant. For example, the specific heat (heat capacity) of water near freezing is.... one gram (about 1 cubic centimeter) of water increases temperature by 1 degree Celcuis for each Calorie (4.19 Joule) of energy it absorbs. When water boils at 100C, or melts from ice at 0C, its temperature does not increase as it absorbs the energy, but this takes a lot of energy, called the latent energy. To melt ice takes 80 calories per gram (about 1 CC) and to boil water takes 540 Calories/gram.

Clearly water is a great coolant as it comes off as steam! But I don't like to use it as I am fearful of rusting my machine surfaces. But you can get some water based coolants with rust inhibitors mixed in. Hopefully, the water vaporizes before the inhibitors and that the inhibitors are not toxic.
When I first started using a mill, I decided I was going to get the "best" lub/coolant from McMasters-Carr so paid a little extra (MOBILMET 766). Poured a whole gallon in my flood coolant system and started cutting a bunch of steel. The smoke and stink drove me out of the room! I concluded that this had something it that had a low boiling point so as remove heat by utilizing a vapor latent energy process. Then I looked up the Safety Data Sheets and sure enough you are not suppose to breath this stuff. It is probably made for automated, enclosed machine tools! Next try was listed a Food-Grade cutting lubricant, BioCut FG 2000, based upon a Canola oil but has additives. It is not nearly as bad, but still not ideal as the Safety Data Sheet still says to were a respirator. Who knows what it breaks down into. Anyway, not much smoke, but the oil seems to get sticky with use.

New activated Carbon cartridges in your mask will soak up the vapors and the particles cannot get through unless super fine. We all know about N95 mask now. The stop most of the particles, but do little to slow down vapors. If you can smell it is not working or the mask is not tight fitting.

The best solution is lots of ventilation, but if you cannot do this then I would get an electrostatic air cleaner (Smoke Eater?) to try to gather up the molecules and particles. Clean it often. There was a big one in my forced air furnace system when I moved to this house and it does work! Hepa are used filters with lots of fan circulation to take out the really fine particles/droplets and are what are used in both medical operating rooms as well as integrated circuit clean rooms.

I am headed towards more ventilation, but am not their yet. I just put in a new glass block window in my small shop room so that I can use hoses and fans for pushing the air outside through a couple missing blocks hole!

Good luck.

Now that you've brought coolants into the conversation, there is another issue. Coolants are whole other animal. Many contain various amines, almost certainly alkyl amines. Amines can be used as chelating agents and binders for carrying metal particles away, they can pick up or pass an electron casually, provide corrosion protection and antioxidant properties, and raise the boiling point of a solution. They can also break apart and reform under tool pressure. The nastier by-products are n-nitrosamines, which are straight up adducts to DNA's guanine. That means direct genetic damage and cancer of the lung, throat, and sinus. The manufacturers aren't regulated for them, because they're not packaged in the bottle- nitrosamines are byproducts that result from the end user's application. So pay attention to those SDS sheets for nitrosamine precursors on those coolants. The information is out on the web if you're interested.

That’s an interesting twist. It’s not always just the ingredients listed on the label one needs to be concerned about, but also what those ingredients can become under the right circumstances. Most illuminating.

-frank

Back