What am I inhaling at the lathe?

I installed the biggest bathroom exhaust fan I could find right above my mill and lathe after a getting a pretty rough cough for a few days after getting a lot of smoke from drilling a lot of big holes. I also run a fan right in my face to move the air. The difference is huge. It helped a ton.

You might at least want to get a fan in your face and run a window fan to move air.

t motor oil! I use it to lube the lathe (but not the ways, don't worry...) and for cutting. Happy to change.
I think I may have oil that does not have detergent, can check.
again, like lo-fi said, motor oil is not cutting oil, I know many people that use old used motor oil. but it's not the detergent.

try a cutting oil. I know some people use lard. try that. try bacon oil.. at least it smells good. I use mobil 766, tap magic, tap magic for al, wd-40, and anchor lube.

edit: mobil 77 to mobil 766

Last edited:
A lot of times I eat bacon for breakfast. Cooking renders the oil out. Would filtering the oil through some cheese cloth make it good for cutting oil?

It'll probably make you feel very hungry while machining ;)

A lot of times I eat bacon for breakfast. Cooking renders the oil out. Would filtering the oil through some cheese cloth make it good for cutting oil?

I just use a paper towel. You can buy hydrogenated lard. It won’t go rancid if stored at room temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you say 3M mask I'm guessing you mean a cartridge type respirator. When was the last time you changed the cartridges and do you have the correct cartridges installed? Having cartridges for organic vapors, cleaning, painting fumes won't give you the level of protection you need if you being more exposed to fine airborne particulates.
I'v been using 10w30 for about everything including oil for the ways. sure wont use for turning lube any more. have not found way oil or cutting fluid at any hardware stores in this town. just got a zorro catalog that lists tap magic.will marine lower unit oil work for way oil?

i use rendered deer fat boil it with snow melt water and throw it out onto the snow . repeat about 3 times to get all the salt out of it so it wont causse rust. works for boots too.

I desaltify bacon fat about the same way as @chatter chatter cut cut does deer lard - boil about 1 part fat with 2 parts water for a while, stirring well from time to time, then pour the fat (and as little water as possible) into a bowl. Let it cool in a bowl and solidify, then lift the fat off the remaining water. You can pretty much get rid of the last of the water by placing a paper towel in the bowl and dropping the lard cake back onto it.

Great subject
I think we are all a bit sensitive to oil fumes, vapor, mist whatever it is.
I use coconut oil as a cutting lubricant on the lathe and mill, it is a more pleasant smell, it still smokes a bit.
I try to use it only when necessary.
Seems to work okay as a lubricant.

You write "only turning delrin or ebonite rather than brass or steel" as if those materials are safer than metals. I think the opposite is true. Metals rarely produce vapors when cut dry, but plastics certainly do. And those vapors might not be good for you.
I am with what you said.

Back