What bench/stand for a 10x18 metal lathe?

grateexpectations

Registered
Registered
I've done lots of woodworking and even metal lathe work on my school/buddy's lathes, now finally after dreaming about it for years I'm buying a used 10x18 lathe, and unfortunately it does not come with a stand, and the manufacturer discontinued this model / doesn't offer a stand for it.

The fella I'm buying it from was running it on a desk (yes like an office work desk. I didn't ask), which would be too low for me to use comfortably.

The lathe weighs about 200lbs.

These are the benches I'm considering, I'd appreciate some feedback. Is there anything to must have or must avoid?

x6yEsv.jpg

Husky 52-inch rolling tool chest

oT6C19.jpg

Mastercraft 6-foot bench

Mm9FKH.jpg

DIY wood bench

cxpP1f.jpg

Rack-style workbench

Unless you have an absolute need for mobility I would avoid something on wheels.
I have my 9" South Bend on a wooden bench with a top made from laminated 2x4's on edge. It's very rigid, stable and absorbs vibration well.

In general, it's desirable to have a bench that's strong enough and has enough mass to prevent movement and minimize
vibration while under power. Store bought, but inexpensive work benches like the Mastercraft shown aren't rigid enough
to do that in my opinion. For a small lathe, a tool box like the Husky would work, though I would probably add a piece of plywood and a chip pan or sheet steel to the top and ditch the castors for some machine mounts. Having said that, with your woodworking experience I'd suggest a heavy wooden bench boxed in with plywood. Properly designed it can be plenty strong and if you have left over lumber in your shop it can be built cheaply. You can also tailor the height to your requirements and build in shelves that suit you.

Wood can be entirely adequate once you get past the point of thinking weight equals rigidity. David's idea of a bench with a top made of on edge 2x4's is a solid one, pun intended, but if you can source some oak slabs and glue them up into a 4" top you will be better off. Build in a way to level it and anchor it down securely to a concrete floor and it will likely last forever. If you need it to move then leveling jacks that raise it off the wheels will be better than just sitting on the wheels. You will need to be mindful of out of balance turning as it will want to dance on you but with hobby turning it shouldn't be a problem.

If I were going to mount a small lathe like yours, I would opt for the tool chest myself. I would replace the casters with leveling casters from Carrymaster for a solid foundation. Lots of guys have their small lathes mounted on similar chests and I can't recall hearing any complaints. Plus, look at all the storage you will have. As a hobby machinist, space is a very big deal and you'll be happy you have it.

Interesting
Thinking out loud here, I could use a tool chest and build some outriggers underneath with screw jacks/feet to lift the wheels off the ground while in use. If screwed to the underside of the tool chest it can also reduce tip-over risk.
rwS2bA.jpg

I'm thinking you may likely increase your own personal tip-over risk from having those outriggers sticking out along the floor like that, but that's just me.

I have two small lathes on individual stands/benches whatever you want to call them. Both are custom built to suit my preference for working height. I also make sure I incorporate space for my feet and clearance for my knees. I find nothing more annoying than having to stand sideways at a counter or work surface for a couple hours at a time because there is no toe kick space or setback in the cabinet faces to allow some room in front of my legs. It's just plain uncomfortable and leads to a sore back from having to lean forward all the time. Something to think about if you're considering a monolithic setup.

-frank

Have a look at TerryH's install. He did a really nice job.

Leveling feet would be great but I agree with Frank, they might trip you up. Look into Carrymaster casters.

My vote is for a stand with at least some drawers/roll out shelves. My stand has fixed shelves. Real pain to have to get down on your hands and knees to get something off the bottom shelves. Even the higher shelves would be nicer if they could be pulled out. I have seen some ingenuous stands where the wheels pivoted down. Do a search for "work benches with retractable wheels" and you will get more ideas than you can shake a stick at.

If you don't need to move your lathe, you will be better off with it attached to the floor.

Back