What Did You Buy Today?

943833ef83f7e73b8d3409f7ac218b98.jpg

73ac3bcaf0f4bb658ee71397ce41a73c.jpg

Bought a 36” pan brake with fingers. Then built a quick base from it from 2x2 tube I had left over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I bought and repainted a 3" Wilton bullet vise a few years ago and although I love it to bits, I've been keeping my eyes open for a bigger one. Finally managed to get over for a price I could more or less justify. It's a 450S, 4.5" bullet, weighs around 70lb! Needs a little bit of love, v but works very smoothly. I'm not going to paint it, it's going to stay just as it isIMG20231107093653.jpgIMG20231107092251.jpg

I was in need of some small collets with some decent extensions. These I found on Offerup. A full set of both DA300 and DA200. The extensions are Lynsey and all of the collets are SYIC. I am not familiar the SYIC brand. They are Taiwan made. Hopefully they run true.
e04ee64afcaefe9cadd29957bfbd0348.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

SYIC is what is now called Techniks. Top quality, equivalent to Kennametal for those types of collets. If you're missing any sizes, let me know as I think I have some of the smaller ones.

Thanks for the info. I believe I have all of them. For sure the sizes I need for my parts I will be working on. Was only looking for the DA300 setup. But to get the DA200 to boot was bonus.

Cutting oil is my blood.

I bought and repainted a 3" Wilton bullet vise a few years ago and although I love it to bits, I've been keeping my eyes open for a bigger one. Finally managed to get over for a price I could more or less justify. It's a 450S, 4.5" bullet, weighs around 70lb! Needs a little bit of love, v but works very smoothly. I'm not going to paint it, it's going to stay just as it is
I've got a 300S on one of my benches and it's a handy little vise, but definitely on the small side. I've been in so many machining and fabricating shops over the past 10 years I've lost count, and the most common vise you'll find is the 450S...big enough for serious work, but doesn't take up too much bench space, or put the work too high when it's mounted on a normal bench.

Just a suggestion, but the handle is starting to peen and hammer away on the spindle so you might want to address that. Normally they have rubber washers on the ends of the handle to prevent that, but someone removed and welded the ball end on at some point...probably to remove and straighten it. The ball ends are actually peened in place. If you carefully grind on the end you can remove enough to drive the handle out of the ball easily so no need to cut the ball off like they did (happens a lot).

Wilton used 11/16" handles on the medium size vises for some reason...3/4" would have been a lot easier. You could do this yourself, but if you want to save a bit of time I've got a handle ready that would work. I've largely gotten out of the vise restoration business, but still do them here and there, mostly Wiltons so when I make a handle, I usually make a couple so I've got one or two on the shelf. Nothing fancy, 1144 Stressproof, thick washers and the ball end needs to be peened in place with an oxyacetylene torch, then smoothed off with a flap disc.

fullsizeoutput_519.jpeg

Back