What Did You Buy Today?

Toolboxes have always been expensive. They're geared towards the professionals that are using their tools on a daily basis and earning a living with them, not hobbyists looking for a bit of nostalgia at yesteryears prices. Even new metal machinists' boxes regularly go for $600.00 or more.

If you think they're expensive start looking at Snap-On mechanics toolboxes. Decent size ones start about $4,000.00 and can go to well over $40,000.00. Many years ago, I was in the auto repair business. Snap on tools were the go-to brand because of their strength, service life, and ability to get into tight places. Even then they were ungodly expensive, but necessary if you wanted to make the flat rate time. Their storage boxes were equally outrageous, but once again heads above the competition as far as quality and longevity.

The last time I turned a wrench professionally was in the 1980's. I still have all the tools and toolboxes I bought from the late 1960's to the time I left the industry. Everything still works as it should. The initial cost was mind boggling compared to the hourly rate mechanics were making at the time. A top of the line fully certified (NIASE) Master Technician was lucky to make $15.00 an hour in the late 1970's, or around $30,000.00 a year. Yet they were required to have an inventory of tools and storage boxes that easily exceeded $15,000.00.

The cost of tools, tool storage, and continuing education were the main reasons I left the industry. Every model year required an additional investment in tools and storage. Minimal tool investment was around $2,000.00 a year, with additional tool storage every 2 to 4 years at another $2,000.00. Add into that schooling which usually ran about $1,000.00 a year. You were spending 10% or more of your gross income just to stay current.

I loved the work, but it wasn't paying well enough to make ends meet. In the mid 1980's the wife convinced me to take a job in the engineering department of a local food manufacturer. For a short period of time I was conflicted. I was missing out on the latest technology, and advancements in the automotive field. I quickly got over it when I was assigned a member of a team to bring a new product to market. My responsibility was to help design the packaging line. It was totally different than anything I'd done in the past and opened a whole new arena of possibilities. It turned out to be the best move I ever made.

Just one grumpy old man to another.
Sadly, something that is essentially a small chest of shallow wooden drawers (albeit well made) has now become a vintage fashion/lifestyle statement.

As you said, decades ago, a second hand, grubby and scratched up but fundamentally sound wooden engineers toolchest, would have been picked up pretty cheaply.

It isn't hobbyists (or even professional) machinists buying (and thus fuelling the price inflation of) these tarted up Moore and Wright or Union toolchests. It's daft hipsters with ironic tatoos who are looking for that industrial chic for their Hoxton apartments.

And there I go again...eh, all things must pass.:)

(he was a character in a 90's British sitcom by the way, worth possibly checking out if you run across it ;))

Last edited:
Sadly, something that is essentially a small chest of shallow wooden drawers (albeit well made) has now become a vintage fashion/lifestyle statement.

As you said, decades ago, a second hand, grubby and scratched up but fundamentally sounds wooden engineers toolchest, would have been picked up pretty cheaply.

It isn't hobbyists (or even professional) machinists buying (and thus fuelling the price inflation of) these tarted up Moore and Wright or Union toolchests. It's daft hipsters with ironic tatoos who are looking for that industrial chic for their Hoxton apartments.

And there I go again...eh, all things must pass.:)

(he was a character in a 90's British sitcom by the way, worth possibly checking out if you run across it ;))
I recent that comment…

IMG_5018.jpeg
:grin big: :grin big: :grin big:

There's a vice maker by the name of Woden? LOL that's tje Anglo Saxon rendering of Odin. Incidentally where we get Wednesday from (Woden's day, although spelling always seems to be wonky. Also Thursday is Thor's day).

There's a vice maker by the name of Woden? LOL that's tje Anglo Saxon rendering of Odin. Incidentally where we get Wednesday from (Woden's day, although spelling always seems to be wonky. Also Thursday is Thor's day).
Well, being English, I'm almost certainly mostly Anglo-Saxon (with a bit of Celt thrown in, mother's family hark from Wales).

Woden were originally based in the UK Midlands before they were taken over by Record some time in the 60's.

This is quite a good read: http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/articles/Darlaston/Woden.htm

And this thread has some good tidbits: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/woden-who-they.1745/

The thing is going into a HF is becoming increasingly unpleasant. This one doesn't have even the 7 x 10 on display anymore. I sure as heck ain't going to spend an equivalent amount on a Pittsburgh or whatever tool set as something from Lowe's/Homo Depot/online. Remember the shills on every forum saying they've been using their Pitts ratchet for 15 years? Yeah, 15 days maybe.

Clowns always bugging you for your phone number. Very big tunover in the help. Horror Freight used to be kind of ok. Now I avoid it as much as possible.

Ain't got Menards round hea. Wish we did. We do have Tractor Supply. But I'm sure that's everywhere by now. In so many more years they may become annoyances also. But they've been around at least 30 years. The 1 right down the road has only been around a few though. They're.pretty cool for now.
I live less than a mile from a harbor freight.
Haven't been into the place in years.

I was just joking... my daughter drew that with a marker... :D :p
Blimey, maybe she should be be a tattoo artist! :big grin:

And maybe you should have her do that design on you!

But for the love of God, don't ride a fixed gear bicycle, grow a thin handlebar moustache and ironically drink craft beer from a jam jar.

I'll admit to a few reservations about some of the cultural mores of the citizens of our still-rebellious-colonies (damn it all sir, a large number of you fellows don't even own a proper teapot!) but I'll take your Stetson wearing, shootin' iron totin', "man wants guv'ment heelthcare; must be a goddamn commyoonist" ways over Godawful, tossy, pseudo-intellectualism any day. :big grin::p:)

Back on topic, I just missed out on a 1960s vintage 6" York vice on FBM. :frown:

Back