What Did You Buy Today?

I finally caved and bought the rest of the 120p set. Still made in Taiwan, but they are not the same tools that Gearwrench made before Apex Tool. The mechanism is excellent, but the pears are a little thick in a kind of Pittsburgh-y way. Still, they're a nice addition to the toolbox.

PXL_20240518_215550224.jpg

I had two sets of GW wrenches for a while, then bought bigger sets to replace them in the garage (moving the smaller sets to the machine shop). That second two sets of wrenches is NOT the same as first sets. Was very disappointed in the difference. Like you said, still nice but not the same.

Last edited:
That's the same one I got for my First Robotics team! Good crimper!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
I've never owned anything from Grizzly but my brother bought a pan brake and he had to modify it to even get it to work. I've heard good and bad about Grizzley . Never heard any bad about PM . I own a PM 833 T mill and it is very robust.

I've never owned anything from Grizzly but my brother bought a pan brake and he had to modify it to even get it to work. I've heard good and bad about Grizzley . Never heard any bad about PM . I own a PM 833 T mill and it is very robust.
Grizzly is all over the map. I have an old Grizzly cabinet saw that is actually very good--the table is flat and I was able to adjust the saw to square the blade within a thou and the miter slots are parallel to the blade over the full cut length within a 5-8 thou--that's good for a woodworking tool. And that sucker has a 3-HP motor and with an even remotely decent blade glides through thick hardwoods. My only real beef is the proprietary fence arrangement, though it's square.

Grizzly also owns the South Bend brand, and even though it's just a marketing brand these days, they did do the right thing by preserving and making available the South Bend production records. That earns points in my book.

But they are at the mercy of their manufacturers, and might not be able to preserve their price points if they performed the sort of QC that Precision Matthews is known for. That said, lots of folks here seem to have Grizzly machine tools.

Rick "all tools coming from the same factories these days" Denney

Poor photographs of the last few paragraphs. Since I had the Federalist Papers within reaching distance ………

View attachment 490280
View attachment 490279
Here ya go:

Extravagant as the supposition is, let it however be made. Let a regular army, fully equal to the resources of the country, be formed; and let it be entirely at the devotion of the federal government; still it would not be going too far to say, that the State governments, with the people on their side, would be able to repel the danger. The highest number to which, according to the best computation, a standing army can be carried in any country, does not exceed one hundredth part of the whole number of souls; or one twenty-fifth part of the number able to bear arms. This proportion would not yield, in the United States, an army of more than twenty-five or thirty thousand men. To these would be opposed a militia amounting to near half a million of citizens with arms in their hands, officered by men chosen from among themselves, fighting for their common liberties, and united and conducted by governments possessing their affections and confidence. It may well be doubted, whether a militia thus circumstanced could ever be conquered by such a proportion of regular troops. Those who are best acquainted with the last successful resistance of this country against the British arms, will be most inclined to deny the possibility of it. Besides the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, the existence of subordinate governments, to which the people are attached, and by which the militia officers are appointed, forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of. Notwithstanding the military establishments in the several kingdoms of Europe, which are carried as far as the public resources will bear, the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. And it is not certain, that with this aid alone they would not be able to shake off their yokes. But were the people to possess the additional advantages of local governments chosen by themselves, who could collect the national will and direct the national force, and of officers appointed out of the militia, by these governments, and attached both to them and to the militia, it may be affirmed with the greatest assurance, that the throne of every tyranny in Europe would be speedily overturned in spite of the legions which surround it.

Grizzly is all over the map. I have an old Grizzly cabinet saw that is actually very good--the table is flat and I was able to adjust the saw to square the blade within a thou and the miter slots are parallel to the blade over the full cut length within a 5-8 thou--that's good for a woodworking tool. And that sucker has a 3-HP motor and with an even remotely decent blade glides through thick hardwoods. My only real beef is the proprietary fence arrangement, though it's square.

Grizzly also owns the South Bend brand, and even though it's just a marketing brand these days, they did do the right thing by preserving and making available the South Bend production records. That earns points in my book.

But they are at the mercy of their manufacturers, and might not be able to preserve their price points if they performed the sort of QC that Precision Matthews is known for. That said, lots of folks here seem to have Grizzly machine tools.

Rick "all tools coming from the same factories these days" Denney
I have both PM and Grizzly. The price with Grizzly really does set apart the great from the average.

Back