What Did You Buy Today?

My neighbor, a CAD guy, came over last night and had a look at it and seemed excited to help me get it up and running.
The Hypertherm 85 SYNC has a little air drier built into it but I am wondering at this point if it is big enough.

Attachments

• DSCN8300.JPG
    DSCN8300.JPG
    322.6 KB · Views: 15
My neighbor, a CAD guy, came over last night and had a look at it and seemed excited to help me get it up and running.
The Hypertherm 85 SYNC has a little air drier built into it but I am wondering at this point if it is big enough.
Regarding the dryer, it will depend on how dry your air is before hitting this dryer. Very dry air is your friend for cutting quality and prolonging the life of your consumables.

You really want to build an after cooler to drop as much water as possible out of the air before it gets to the tank.

I also use a portable desiccant dryer/filter at the plasma.

A refrigerated dryer is best but, expensive to buy a good one. The HF unit isn’t that great.
IMG_6285.jpeg

You really want to build an after cooler to drop as much water as possible out of the air before it gets to the tank.

I also use a portable desiccant dryer/filter at the plasma.

A refrigerated dryer is best but, expensive to buy a good one. The HF unit isn’t that great.
If you don't mind my asking, what's the approximate cost to put one of those together?
And where can I find the pieces you used?
I'm going to need all the guidance I can get from you guys that have been down this road before as I embark on this venture!
Thanks!

If you don't mind my asking, what's the approximate cost to put one of those together?
And where can I find the pieces you used?
I'm going to need all the guidance I can get from you guys that have been down this road before as I embark on this venture!
Thanks!
I’m at work, I can share details about my setup this weekend.

Cost wise, I spent $300 on the polisher and probably $450 on the after cooler. You can get by much cheaper. All of my stuff travels from job to job so I need to stay compact and durable!

That’s a small coalescing filter, which will knock out big droplets of oil & water, but won’t dry. As @Firstram noted, the best setup would be a refrigerant dryer followed by a desiccant dryer and a filter (to catch any desiccant particles. Their also needs to be a good sized coalescing filter immediately after the compressor to keep oil out of the dryers.

I think you need to weigh the cost of expendables vs the equipment, maintenance and power required costs. Yes lab quality air will no doubt extend nozzle life but at a cost.
My compressor is two stage with cast iron intercoolers and after coolers. I have copper air lines and get no noticeable water spray at the outlets with no additional filters. Nozzles wear but usually fail from blowback at start up or the side erodes cutting around a circle in heavy plate. Have never determined feet of cut per nozzle, but it's reasonable. Expendables are a cost but cheaper than using a O/A torch.
Up to you.

Greg

I think you need to weigh the cost of expendables vs the equipment, maintenance and power required costs. Yes lab quality air will no doubt extend nozzle life but at a cost.
My compressor is two stage with cast iron intercoolers and after coolers. I have copper air lines and get no noticeable water spray at the outlets with no additional filters. Nozzles wear but usually fail from blowback at start up or the side erodes cutting around a circle in heavy plate. Have never determined feet of cut per nozzle, but it's reasonable. Expendables are a cost but cheaper than using a O/A torch.
Up to you.

Greg
Good points, particularly for just starting out: large capital outlay vs. relatively low operating expense.

Back