What Did You Buy Today?

I hear you and do not disagree - especially on the aging thing.
On the other hand, what about a cheap tool that fails before it does you any good?
I recently sold a piece of property.
Had to move two old semi trailers that had been parked on it for 30 years.
I hired a man with a tracked excavator to lift the front of the trailers and back them out of the trees that had grown up around them.
He had a brand new, gold colored 3/8" "high test" chain he bought at harbor freight. We hooked it to the 5th wheel pin and then to the hoe to lift the front of the trailer.
The chain snapped almost immediately.
I had my two little 9/32" osha approved rigging chains with me. We used one of those. It did the job handily.
I bought my little chains used but am certain they would have cost a heck of a lot more than his did when they were new.
But let's say I bought them new and they cost 3 times more than his chain cost.
Which chain was the better value?
By the way, long story but we ended up having to use the excavator to move one of the trailers over a mile.
The way he had it hooked to the bucket caused a few links to get chewed up and damaged. Grrr.
The hooks were fine so I bought new chain. It had grade 100 chain before so that's what I replaced it with.
And paid the extra $2.50/ft. for USA made chain.
Red hook looks like a frame hook to me.. Nice to have handy!

Completely agree.

However, I'm getting to where I know there are some tools I'm only going to use a handful of times. For those I buy the cheap ones. The theory is, if I wear it out or break it, it's been used enough to buy a good one! The broken cheap ones have proved a good one was needed, and the unbroken cheap ones have earned their keep.

I mean, how many of us have 40+ years left to wear out good tools anymore! :)
That's when it's time to locate and buy used, with lots of life left without risk of injury or heartbreak that comes with imported lookalike junk. 40 year old Snap-on or Crescent is way better than Pittsburgh!
15129a27c8343a906efb9ce812cd5656266dedefb3b3f9c7ad21f8c2a6e05406_1.jpgfull-18408-182949-img_2928.jpeg
560116-2F42DC4E-AE79-4AD3-A462-6735B5A634EF.jpeg

Today I've been hoarding Facom PK.2 pegboards to scatter around the shop as Facom has decided to discontinue the product :apologize:
1713896522760.png

Hangs on my junk hook. Was in the back until this morning. Helping a girl (friend of my 34 year old daughter) who wants to tune up her own car.
View attachment 487494
Zooming in kinda close so @woodchucker can’t start shopping my workbench

Kidding, woodchucker is the best.
me, shopping your workbench???? you must be talking about someone else. Maybe Jamie???
Hey what's that thing on the left :grin: ....

I have an Airco torch setup, including regulators, that is at least 75 years old and still going strong. Parts are still available from Concoa, including the seals that keep the gas and oxygen separate where the tip adapter meets the handle. These seals are the only thing I have had to replace.
+1,
Back in the 70’s Airco and Victor were the brands that seem to last forever.

Got a Kurt scratch, and dent DX4 for 200.00 off, I ordered it Friday, the lady insisted that it had to go Fedex overnight for 585.00. I told her it could go ground, she let the shipping dept get a quote, and it was 140.00 overnight, and I got it this morning:cheerful:

You are gonna love it.
I have the DX-6. Great products
Talk about buy once, cry once!

A sample assortment of 1” deep Schaller plastic boxes.

How come that no one has told me about these, I’ve spent ages searching for a product just like this :grin:
The Schaller boxes fit nicely inside those sheet metal storage boxes with the hinges lid that can be racked like pull out drawers... (Sortimentkaste in German, don't know what else they're called) like this:

Back