What Did You Buy Today?

I have spent over 1000 hours welding, and I cannot even make a consistently handsome bead. I can consistently produce a sound weld, but it is nothing that I would photograph and post online. It must take well over 1000 hours of practice.

The key to making a beautiful TIG bead seems to be 100% consistency (arc length, travel speed, torch angle, amount of filler rod added per dip, filler rod angle, keeping the filler rod in the shielding gas at all times, and a steady hand). Near 100% cleanliness is a given. Using a quality vs. cheap import gas lens will eliminate some frustration.

I have concentrated on cleanliness and penetration. I like to weld hot and fast in order to minimize the HAZ. When I fabricate something, the welds are structurally sound, but I almost always grind down my embarrassing welds.

Now in order to not be off topic I just bought a 11 lb. roll of .035" ER70S-6 roll of MIG wire. It was $30.07 delivered.
I'm thinking i'll try the lift arc function after I dial in the settings. That will take out one of the fine motor actions.

The key to making a beautiful TIG bead seems to be 100% consistency (arc length, travel speed, torch angle, amount of filler rod added per dip, filler rod angle, keeping the filler rod in the shielding gas at all times, and a steady hand). Near 100% cleanliness is a given.

You right about that. Consistency is key. Awhile back I was thinking about why machine made welds look so much better than hand made welds and the answer is obviously because they are perfectly consistent. Check out the pic below:

1589329093535.png

I got this pic from here. It's a robotic made TIG weld but the reason it looks so amazing is because the robot is able to hold the same exact arc length, travel speed, and filler feed rate for the entirety of the bead. So to be good at TIG you just have to do that!

Also to stay on topic, I got these today! Spot drills in 1/8", 3/16", and 1/4"

1589329294472.png

These arrived today.
5c17350ef19d75180b696c8a7d7e6d79.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Books look very interesting any chance for pics of the table of contents please ?

I have a lot of work to do.... I dread it... no, I have anxiety about it. ok both. lol
I wont start the real work until tommorow. Work a 12 hour shift, only a little sleep since 7pm Tuesday.

ps nosy people like me might be able to spot an item that's about 53 years old.
dros.JPG

Last edited:
Hmmmm ... Is it that steam engine accessory(?) looking wheeled device just in front of the Remington 20ga shotshells? Either that, or the little dog - but though similar, that one doesn't quite look like "his master's voice," so I'll stick with the original guess.

indeed sir! you are correct :) A Mamod accessory. Dad brought home a Steam engine with boiler. I guess when I was about 10yrs old.
Dad was "into" steam, but really only at a level of reading old technical books about the subject.
The dog is a 101 dalmatian lol. from when the kids were little. it just keeps on keeping on. lol.

The owner of this closed a second shop space he had, and wanted this gone, shipping is double the cost of the machine, and I still have got to figure out powering a 3 phase. I feel like I jumped out of the 2nd story barn loft into the saddle of Hi Ho silver. I don't like heights, and I don't know how to ride a horse. Something just would not let me pass it up, I can't explain it. Built in 1948, thanks to MRWhoopee for the posting.

1589414923689.png

The owner of this closed a second shop space he had, and wanted this gone, . . . snip

I watched the video and that guy made me crazy with his wild hand movements around the running machine. From behind the machine, leaning over the uncovered drive works, reaching around and in front of the running blade, to point out the air blower nozzle, is incredibly unsafe.
I hope the next owner has much better safety practices and respect for the danger present.

Last edited:
Back