What Did You Buy Today?

POTD was making my main workbench a little easier to use. My dad used to say, "don't do standing up what you can do sitting down". Never thought much about it until I hit 60. Sure is nice to sit at the bench and work instead of standing all day. My main workbench is a 6' maple-topped bench from a local school that shut down their shop. It came with a couple of banks of lockers which span 5+ feet of the benchtop.

Love the bench which has storage lockers on a 3/4" sheet of plywood. The "casters" underneath are 1" steel ball material movers which gave a low-profile to the floor, though they don't roll nearly as smoothly as regular casters.
View attachment 324519

I didn't show any of the work, but pulled one of the lockers (everything is in the drawers from a previous POTD) and used Creform tubing to make up some legs to support the end of the bench. I can now sit and draw or fiddle instead of standing all of the time.
View attachment 324520

Thanks for looking, Bruce

Those make for some nice under bench storage. I have a couple of the tall 6 foot lockers for outside storage, but I would need a really tall stool to use them under a bench. :)

Last edited:
Bruce -

I do like the idea of a sit-down workbench. But on the other hand, I think I personally spend much too much time sitting down. I've reached a compromise by having both sit-down and stand-up work bench areas.

Vertex 6" RT just arrived ....this should be fun in the future, and it is a project itself, the mounting of a chuck...lol
now its chuck hunting season! (Chukar season over)

So much more manageable. Weighs less than the Phase II I used to have!
My decsion was based in large part from info found here on the forums, so thank you :)
vertexrt.JPG

Vertex 6" RT just arrived ....this should be fun in the future, and it is a project itself, the mounting of a chuck...lol
now its chuck hunting season! (Chukar season over)

So much more manageable. Weighs less than the Phase II I used to have!
My decsion was based in large part from info found here on the forums, so thank you :)
View attachment 324798
Looks like a quality piece. Where did you purchase?

I had the chance to twiddle a small 4” Vertex at KMS a couple years ago. Boy, did it ever feel smooth! At the time I couldn’t justify the $425 they wanted for it and I’m not sure I could now either, but it was night and day compared to the lower-priced one I have now.

-frank

I was checking cl for a small bandsaw. Had one listed for 200.00. I looked at hf and a couple other places then went back to cl to see the same bandsaw for 125.00. I went to look at it and brought it home for 100.00. it needs a little TLC but it will work for me
As listed.
01414_1x5BOtoPqzl_600x450.jpg
In my pickup.
KIMG0081.JPG

Back