What Did You Buy Today?

I’m a little disappointed in Starrett.
I was playing around with it, adjusting the clamp and I noticed a gritty feel.
I took it apart to find a dry, dirty, gritty mechanism.
I expected a smooth action.
Cleaned and oiled it, better but there is a catch like a burr is causing a bind.
I’ll strip it down and see if I can find it.
This thing is pressed together on a splined shaft.
Maybe I’ll return it.
See the grit? I didn’t get it all.

Edit, I just checked for some recent reviews. It looks like this is a common issue lately with Starrett.
Too bad, they have a good name, I hope they straighten this out and spend the time to finish the tool before shipping.

Ten minutes later.
Polished the end that spins in the bottom of the handle, greased it, cleaned the grit again.
Works smooth with no glitchy feel.
Still, Starrett should have done this for the price of these.
My "B" is a bit gritty as well. Pretty disappointing for a $100 tap handle!

My "B" is a bit gritty as well. Pretty disappointing for a $100 tap handle!
Evan,
polish the Nubbin on the stem, it made a huge difference For me.
I’ve wanted one of these 12” tap wrenches for a while now. Just couldn’t justify it. Never stoppEd me before...
I broke the Irwin, piece of junk.

Jeff,
I bought the "B" about a year ago and used it for the first time this past week. It worked ok, but was definitely not the feel I was expecting! I bought the "A" from a retired machinist, and it is about as good as it gets. Will pull the B apart and clean it up. I expect that from Shars or Grizzly, not from Starrett!
Evan

Jeepers, that’s almost exactly the age of my parents.

Dad was 48, mom was 42. Dad was ex-Canadian army, joined up in ‘38, was on the front lines from Sicily in 1943 to the end in Holland.
Let’s just say I had basic training as a child.

On Saturdays he’d go to the mall and before going out separate ways, we’d “synchronize watches”.
He was my hero. Really miss him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This hits home, I am a bit younger so it was my grandparents what fought in ww2. grandpa joined in 1939 a few years to young, served until 1945 with his brother, itily, germany, france. nothing short of a miracle the two survived, he stayed in france and had a wife/ kids there before moving back to alberta.

Those men were made of iron, but had the sweet heart of a poppy. both are gone now, but i keep a poppy on my toolbox for them i dont think the world will see such dedicated and hard workers again.

I'm sure you'll have a conversation with the Teacher and/or the School Board!
One of the things taught in school now days, is estimating. so 9+18 is supposed to be rounded to 10+20, and get 30, and not 27. My Son had a hard time with it because he understood math, and could do most of it in his head at that point.

One of the things taught in school now days, is estimating. so 9+18 is supposed to be rounded to 10+20, and get 30, and not 27. My Son had a hard time with it because he understood math, and could do most of it in his head at that point.

9+18 will never equal 30, what's the point? I would have a hard time with that too.

Back