What Did You Buy Today?

Love your drill press and especially the table. Always on the The lookout for one, but no joy yet. Cheers, Mike

My drill press came with a smaller plate. All mine are threaded holes, so I installed grub/set screws in all the holes to make cleanup simpler. I can easily find a hole to use for hold down bolts.

Red box,!
UPS in three days?? I got lucky.
Starrett 91 C

Attachments

• 83E1378F-1FAE-4B38-A4BF-0B6C268AFC7D.jpeg
    83E1378F-1FAE-4B38-A4BF-0B6C268AFC7D.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 23
  • 7C4EBB28-6FB4-4284-9261-A58A019ABA95.jpeg
    7C4EBB28-6FB4-4284-9261-A58A019ABA95.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 31
  • E9EE6B44-2475-47D1-BFF3-E72C77F7289D.jpeg
    E9EE6B44-2475-47D1-BFF3-E72C77F7289D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
Love your drill press and especially the table. Always on the The lookout for one, but no joy yet. Cheers, Mike
Thanks, That was the ebay pic, it has 4 heads. currently I just have two mounted, but thinking of mounting the other 2. 1 head has power feed, which I have not been able to get working right, but likely from not playing around enough. The thing is built like a tank, and weighs like 2. Even has the tank and motor in the base for coolant. Snagged it off Ebay for $400, and an overnight trip to Denver and back.

Here is a thread I did a few years back.

Last edited:
My first participation in an online auction was back in February. Of course there were items that were 'come pick it up yourself'. I'm a 1000 miles from the site, so I had to be realistic & made a list of items the auction company would ship that I was interested in. For those that have never participated in an online auction, I'll take a minute to paint the picture. For a time, often a month, each item (Lot #) is available to bid on. Then, at a prearranged time, Lot # 1 goes into a count down to closing. Each lot closes 1 after the other in maybe 5 minute intervals. Highest bidder wins. As I was following along (& keeping up with the prices of what I had on my list) a friend won an item that he would have to go pick up. I quickly reached out to him to see if he could help with shipping for me. He agreed & suddenly my options were greatly increased. As is usually the case, item after item that I wanted bid up to a higher price than I was willing to pay. But, I did win 3 x 5 gallon buckets of horizontal mill cutters.

20200310.JPG

Kind of like a box of chocolates, no telling what all is in there.

I paid online & my friend picked up my winnings the next day. Then the 'Rona hit & our ship via Fastenal plan was (& is still) no longer an option. USPS Flat Rate boxes it is then. Might not look it in the above pic, but that is about 490 pounds of steel. Took 7 boxes to get them here. Unpacked this morning & here is what I bought!

20200711 01.jpg

All I can really say is thank you, Chris, for your help. Oh, & whoever wrote "Death by a 1000 cuts" must have been at minimum a machinist's apprentice. These, every one, are all still very sharp & most show no signs of ever having been used.

Red box,!
UPS in three days?? I got lucky.
Starrett 91 C
I’m a little disappointed in Starrett.
I was playing around with it, adjusting the clamp and I noticed a gritty feel.
I took it apart to find a dry, dirty, gritty mechanism.
I expected a smooth action.
Cleaned and oiled it, better but there is a catch like a burr is causing a bind.
I’ll strip it down and see if I can find it.
This thing is pressed together on a splined shaft.
Maybe I’ll return it.
See the grit? I didn’t get it all.

Edit, I just checked for some recent reviews. It looks like this is a common issue lately with Starrett.
Too bad, they have a good name, I hope they straighten this out and spend the time to finish the tool before shipping.

Ten minutes later.
Polished the end that spins in the bottom of the handle, greased it, cleaned the grit again.
Works smooth with no glitchy feel.
Still, Starrett should have done this for the price of these.

Attachments

• C5E698DC-C888-41B1-A828-9EC1537D16B2.jpeg
    C5E698DC-C888-41B1-A828-9EC1537D16B2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
  • B68FA888-B2BD-43FB-A3BA-09D9338B390D.jpeg
    B68FA888-B2BD-43FB-A3BA-09D9338B390D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
My first participation in an online auction was back in February. Of course there were items that were 'come pick it up yourself'. I'm a 1000 miles from the site, so I had to be realistic & made a list of items the auction company would ship that I was interested in. For those that have never participated in an online auction, I'll take a minute to paint the picture. For a time, often a month, each item (Lot #) is available to bid on. Then, at a prearranged time, Lot # 1 goes into a count down to closing. Each lot closes 1 after the other in maybe 5 minute intervals. Highest bidder wins. As I was following along (& keeping up with the prices of what I had on my list) a friend won an item that he would have to go pick up. I quickly reached out to him to see if he could help with shipping for me. He agreed & suddenly my options were greatly increased. As is usually the case, item after item that I wanted bid up to a higher price than I was willing to pay. But, I did win 3 x 5 gallon buckets of horizontal mill cutters.

View attachment 330052

Kind of like a box of chocolates, no telling what all is in there.

I paid online & my friend picked up my winnings the next day. Then the 'Rona hit & our ship via Fastenal plan was (& is still) no longer an option. USPS Flat Rate boxes it is then. Might not look it in the above pic, but that is about 490 pounds of steel. Took 7 boxes to get them here. Unpacked this morning & here is what I bought!

View attachment 330053

All I can really say is thank you, Chris, for your help. Oh, & whoever wrote "Death by a 1000 cuts" must have been at minimum a machinist's apprentice. These, every one, are all still very sharp & most show no signs of ever having been used.
Holy cow man.
You scored big time.

In a similar vein, my father (grade six education retired as a road engineer) would not permit me the use of a calculator in high school. Said that I needed to learn how math worked.
Physics 12 without a calculator was brutal. But my math skills were top-drawer.
Note “were”, now I don’t use them as much and they have deteriorated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting,
Your Dad meant well but think of the time you spent doing the work that you already knew.
I agree you need to know how to do the math, then move on to the next lesson.
I bet you had strong opinions on his methods.

Interesting,
Your Dad meant well but think of the time you spent doing the work that you already knew.
I agree you need to know how to do the math, then move on to the next lesson.
I bet you had strong opinions on his methods.

I think he was just relaying what he had to do. Reading math books by candlelight trying to better himself so he probably thought that was the only way.
And I definitely was not a happy camper about it. I was a bit of an outcast in school because of the things I had to do as a result of having parents who were old enough to be my grandparents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back